2004 leon fr tdi 150 feels underpowered

86smithy

hi all having recently bought my fr tdi I feel its a bit underpowered, it runs fine seems to boost at 1500 rpm until 2-2.5k rpm then feels pretty flat after? to put it into perspective my Passat tdi 130 felt a fair bit quicker and my mums old tdi 115 golf even pulled harder?the turbo sounds like its whistling a bit too much upto 2.5 revs also seems no better on fuel than my v6 tdi Passat as it only managed 180 miles on first half a tank mostly motorway driving? also it gets up to temp fine maybe a bit slowly but its cold outside,when on the move it sits at a steady 90 but when I stop it soon starts dropping even as low as 60 sometimes wheres all my other pd vags have held 90 regardless of movement? its not showing any fault codes. any help would be appreciated I don't mind spending the money on repairs so no need to bodge it lol:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
No fault codes? Air leak in the charge system? My leon 110bhp tdi always dropped way down in the temp gauge in the cold and the cordoba tdi takes a good 6 miles to get towards warm in this cold weather.

86smithy

the underpowered bit could be me took my mate out in the car and he thinks its fast lol.
the getting colder when parked could be that my radiator fans are on slow speed constantly as soon as thhe ignition is turned on so im gonna try a fan switch and will do the coolant temperature switch same time

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Forgot to add that all thermostats, temperature senders and fans were good on the leon. The way I got around it was to block off half the radiator. Everything was sound on the leon and it always performed as it was supposed to in regular 8-14 deg

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members