2007 Altea 5 speed manual gearbox drone noise

Sep 17, 2019
Belfast
Hi

My 07 tdi has developed a drone which I assume is coming from the gearbox and I'm looking for advice.

Context:

It has 110k miles, well maintained but can't confirm is the gear oil has been changed.

The clutch chatters a bit at idle, flooring the clutch quiets it a good bit, but I can live with it.

Wheel bearings are all ok as are brakes and tyres.

Started to develop a quiet drone (not a whine) at motorway speeds.

Unaffected by gear selection, unaffected by clutch state, so assumed it is diff/final drive rather than one gear or the clutch assembly / DMF.

Over about 1500 miles, it has got louder and started to come on at lower and lower speeds. Now I hear it clearly from about 30 mph and up. It never goes away.

Something is eating itself - a bearing or something - and the car is not worth enough to do the box and clutch work so I'm balancing driving it until it finally blows up or if there is a quick and easy fix because this is a known fault I'm open to suggestions.

I'm reluctant to take it to a garage as my experience is most of them don't want to diagnose, they just go straight to swapping parts at my expense until they accidentally land on something that works.

So. Throw some knowledge on me.

Thanks in advance.