2007 Cupra petrol gearbox noise

Polyphemus

Hi All, :D

Since a couple of months I own a 2007 Cupra petrol, and it has something ennoying.

When driving at a speed between 40 an 60 mph, the gearbox makes a whining noise. The pitch of the sound depends on the speed of the car, and it is not related to any gear. It makes the noise in 3, 4 and 5.

When I put the gearbox in neutral or engage the clutch, the sound is almost gone, but when driving a constant speed or accelerating, it is clearly noticable.

I went to my dealer and they changed the oil of the gearbox, but no luck, it keeps getting louder. The dealer says it is no problem, but in my opinion, a gearbox must not sound like a touringcar :D

Do you guys have come across something like this?

(sorry for my bad English, I'm Dutch :rolleyes:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All, :D

Since a couple of months I own a 2007 Cupra petrol, and it has something ennoying.

When driving at a speed between 40 an 60 mph, the gearbox makes a whining noise. The pitch of the sound depends on the speed of the car, and it is not related to any gear. It makes the noise in 3, 4 and 5.

When I put the gearbox in neutral or engage the clutch, the sound is almost gone, but when driving a constant speed or accelerating, it is clearly noticable.

I went to my dealer and they changed the oil of the gearbox, but no luck, it keeps getting louder. The dealer says it is no problem, but in my opinion, a gearbox must not sound like a touringcar :D

Do you guys have come across something like this?

(sorry for my bad English, I'm Dutch :rolleyes:)

you need to keep complaining untill they do somthing about that fixes it.

chorlton

Mar 1, 2008
Cumbria
my 1.8 t fr did the same and my mates 2009 1.8t polo gti does this also. i think its a common fault on newer 1.8t's

Polyphemus

Hi guys,

Finally an update on my gearbox-problems. My dealer is currently swapping the gearbox for a 'new' one. The noise was still getting worse and worse, and at some moment, in fifth gear, it would jump to neutral.

So, I'm getting another gearbox. I'll keep you posted on my experience with the new box.

Last edited by a moderator:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise