2008 Leon FR

JohnnyR1Red

Jun 13, 2009
Hi Guys, I am on the verge of buying the diesel version of this car and wondered what the general opinion of it was. I have found an 08 model with 15,000 miles up for £12,995 with leather seats in red. It is stunning looking and I really can't wait to get it.

Is there anything I should be aware of, any issue/problems I should look for? I was really torn between this model and the Golf GT Tdi but the Leon is much prettier. I appreciate the build quality will not be as good as the Golf but from what I have read it's still pretty good on the Leon.

How much of the Leon is actually based on the Golf as the press claim it's the same engine and chassis. I will get it remapped eventually, I have read about some people having problems with a remap but I do quite a bit of motorway driving so this shouldn't effect me hopefully.

Thanks

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
Hello and welcome (from a Golf owner too!!!).
Have a search around on here for DPF issues and windscreen delamination, rattles and stuff like that. Rattles you'll get in any car but they will be worse in the Leon due to the rock hard suspension!
In Diesel form the Leon is a much better buy than the Golf mk5 for sure. I wouldn't say the actual build quality is much worse, it's just that SEAT saw fit to put some crappy plastic in certain areas of the interior which is an eternal shame.
The engine is indeed the same as a Golf/A3 and the chassis is more or less identical too, as are many of the other underpinnings (seat frames, dash internals, some switchgear etc).
Re-map is essential in my book even if you don't drive like a ned all the time it makes the powerband more useable.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
The leather seats cost £1,500 new as well, so that's a good price. You won't be disappointed.

JohnnyR1Red

Jun 13, 2009
Thanks guys, viewing it on Wednesday and can't wait to be honest. I have put a deposit on it so it's mine but it's in Stoke and I live in Newcastle. Worth the drive though as it's such a good deal.

Any recommendations of companies local to me who would remap it.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members