2010 Climate Control Fan / Blower Unresponsive - advice please

rossinator

Oct 1, 2019
Hello.
Hoping you lovely people can point me in the right direction. I've spent a few hours searching this forum and the interweb in general but to no avail.

With no previous signs of there being a problem, my girlfriend drove her 2010 Ibiza 6J Good Stuff this morning and found the interior fan / blower was completely dead and unresponsive, no signs of life at all. The car has climate control, so controls look like this:

Screen-Shot-2019-10-01-at-11-33-23.png

The buttons and display work as intended, just no sign of the fan working at all.

I've worked out that as the car has climate control it does not have a simple resistor pack, it has fan control unit - 6Q2907521B if anyone want to see what they are on ebay; does anyone know if these units fail often? Do these fan control resistor units simply connect to the fan power input so I check the output of this with a multimeter to see if it's output is correct?

I'll be looking at the car later with multimeter and vcds in hand, and a heavy boot to kick the fan just in case it just got stuck, but does anyone have any suggestions for common failure for this situation? I will be connecting 12v directly to the fan to check that too.

I wonder if the super heavy rain has has anything to do with this, I do try to keep leaves out of the scuttle.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

rossinator

Oct 1, 2019
Update. Main fuses under the steering wheel on the supplemental ones on the 12v battery top are all okay, even the fan blower ones. Two fault codes though:

Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: 6R0-907-044.clb
Control Module Part Number: 6J0 820 043 A HW: 6J0 820 043 A
Component and/or Version: Climatronic H07 0404

2 Faults Found:

00898 - Control Circuit A/C compressor
007 - Short to Ground - Intermittent

01273 - Fresh Air Blower (V2)
000 - -

My girlfriend did drive through a large pool of water yesterday, so maybe something got fried with the A/C pump being dipped into the water, maybe a relay over-loaded etc. Anyone know the relay locations / identifications?

rossinator

Oct 1, 2019
So I spent ages with the car going over everything. Finally resorted to stripping the dash down and getting to the fan itself. So I measured the voltage on the plug to the fan which was 12v regardless of the fan speed setting. I pulled the fan forward and discovered that the fan was spinning slowly, same speed regardless of the speed control. So I then used a screwdriver to assist the fan spin and I slowly managed to get the fan spinning at higher and higher speeds. After a while of assisting the fan spin speed, I managed to get the fan spinning up at normal fast speeds. From then on the fan can be controlled as usual. So it looks like a sticky fan was the cause for anyone reading this in the future. Although I haven't completely dismissed the fan controller...

Reactions: LeighPing1
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.