2010 Ibiza Boot lock failing to unlock

WolfyWesty

Nov 10, 2016
Hi,

I've noticed that the boot lock on my 10 plate Ibiza has started to fail to unlock. It locks fine!

If it's a cold morning (below 4C) the boot lock won't work properly, you can hear the mechanism move (that whirring noise) but the lock itself doesn't budge - so the boot will move slightly if you try to open it but it will "thunk" against the deadlock. This can be resolved by locking the car via the keyfob then unlocking it, sometimes after a couple of tries.

However, today it failed to unlock at all, even using the unlock button within the car. Once it warmed up, it unlocked fine without any problem.

Is this a known issue? And, is it an easy one to fix?

Cheers,

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
At a guess water has been getting in, you do know that you can open the boot by using something in the slot in the plastic panel that covers the hatch?

If possible, if you are going to sort this yourself, try to read up on what normally happens - you should be able to find out a lot using the "search" function on this section of the forum.

Also, try to wait until the weather is warmer as the plastic trim is very nasty to get off and should be a bit easier in warmer weather.

I've not "been there" yet with my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza SC, but I had been there with her previous early 2002 Ibiza 6K - and it was not a very pleasant experience, nor was it much better when I needed to repair the washer system on my wife's previous 2003MY Polo 9N!!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
There is a slot low down in the trim about central left>right. You can stick the key blade in and slide it to one side, you should feel or even see a lever in there.

That makes life easier than it had been with an least the 6K Ibiza, my daughter went to collect 3 friends for a very early morning flight abroad - then discovered that she could not open the hatch, so all their cases needed to get loaded in through the front doors or carried on their laps - not a nice start to a holiday! That happened in winter time as well.

Edit:- on that 6K Ibiza from early 2002, what I found was that SEAT (probably) had cheapened/modernised an old VW design, where VW had used an alloy link arm, which was heavy enough to have enough momentum once it was "hit" by the release solenoid action, this new SEAT version was made out of light plastic and so did not have enough momentum to open that lock under all conditions, I just cleaned it up and applied some modern superlub which is a lot better than the older grease.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.