Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest we just want to let you know that our Privacy Terms have changed. You can read them here: New Privacy Terms

2011 Barcelona Motorshow - SeatCupra.net road trip and liveblog

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Chat' started by Syphon, May 3, 2011.

1. Syphon

Syphon SCN Admin
    Staff Member

Next Monday SEATCupra.net will be taking delivery of a loan Ibiza FR from SEAT. Bright and early I will be leaving home on the Tuesday and heading down to Portsmouth to meet up with Mark (m0rk) before we board the ferry at the start of what should be an exciting road trip to the Barcelona Motorshow. We will be returning on the Saturday.

SEAT are kindly looking after us on this trip so we can bring you live coverage from the show as well as a running diary of journey there and back.

We will be providing regular updates of the week via this forum and the site's Twitter and Facebook pages.

[​IMG]

We might even see if we can wangle a live video broadcast from the show, wi-fi permitting. :)

Be sure to keep an eye on this thread as we'll bring you the latest from the show as SEAT unveil their stand and hopefully we'll get a chance to speak to James Muir if we can grab some time with him.

More to follow so stay tuned. :)

Scott

2. m0rk

m0rk sarcasm comes free
    Staff Member

Estimated route is here depending on the ferry times when I book them later today.

via Le Mans & Millau Bridge

[​IMG]

3. jc_boc

jc_boc Back in CUPRA ..... R!

Awesome guys!!! Hopefully you do get to spak to Muir. If you do, ask him about the new engine for the beeza hahahahhahha

4. LEE69

LEE69 Stage 2 Revo'd

Very nice.

5. Stu B

Stu B DarthWombleIII & WombleII

Very nice - safe trip / look forward to the write up :)

6. ZBOYD

ZBOYD Looking up at the stars!
    Staff Member

Enjoy chaps :p I shall keep the home fires burning. :D

Any 'sensible questions you might have for the guys post them in here and they'll try and put the best ones to SEAT and James Muir if they get the opportunity.

The appearance or chance of 4x4 Twin Turbo V8's is not what we class as a sensible question, so thought we'd get that one out of the way. ;)

7. dav

dav SEAT owner no more...

Lucky guys! Have fun :)

8. oldman

oldman Senior Member

enjoy the trip guys, we're only a tad jealous!

9. m0rk

m0rk sarcasm comes free
    Staff Member

Phew, remembered to book the ferries when I got home....

10. Mr Cellotape

Mr Cellotape AKA Mr Ribbed

One question you could ask is what are they doing to improve their service standards?

You could mention that quite a few MK II Leon Cupra owners have actually changed for other brands as they are sick of the poor service standards.

11. andyj

andyj There's no F in Quality..

Any sign in the near future of an Exeo version of the S4? ;)

p.s. have fun guys :thumbup:

12. jc_boc

Seriously would like to know if they are replacing the twincharger engine in the facelift ibiza.........

13. m0rk

m0rk sarcasm comes free
    Staff Member

Well Scott & I have had our hotel confirmed by SEAT PR - which is ace. It's looking to be an excellent trip out.

The Ibiza FR TDi is being delivered to Scott in Brizzle tomorrow, and then in the early hours Scott will head to Portsmouth, where I'll join him and dump my camera kit, EU travel bits & SCN sticker into the car.

Fast ferry departs Portsmouth at 9am, arriving in Cherbourg at about 1pm local time

This is the route we're planning to take. We'll do a stop at Le Mans mid afternoon and do as much of the race track as you can on the road.

I'm anticipating we'll get to near Clermont-Ferrand in the Volcanic region and stop there on the first night.

On the next morning, the weather being on our side I'm hoping to get up the Puy de Dome

[​IMG]

Luckily there is a road up there :)

Then a quick run down over the bridge into Spain on this route

Depending on time we'll probably run up to Martorell to the factory in the afternoon as it's only a quick drive out of town... It looks like it's changed from when I went there with Ken a few years back... ie - no SEAT-Sport scrap yard any more.

Scott @ SEAT has organised a fantastic city centre hotel, meal & "drinks" on arrival which I'm sure will be appreciated!

Thursday 9am the show opens, hopefully we'll get to see some previews - I'm hoping to see a more developed IBE concept to show us the Leon III SC a little more - and I suspect at least one VAG Electric / Hybrid to be shown - maybe an Arosa replacement city car?

Lunch with SEAT, and an audience with James Muir (President of SEAT) and hopefully a chance to talk to some really great people at SEAT.

Then we'll get let out on our own on Thursday night - I'm really looking forward to this, as Barcelona is one of my favourite cities before an earlyish night as we'lve got a long day the next day.

The return route is pretty much not going to cover any of the same roads - hopefully these will be quieter based on past experience, and saves going over the same places. We'll be stopping somewhere a couple of hours short of Caen on the way home as our ferry is midday on Saturday getting in at about 2ish UK time.

Scott can then drop me off & we'll marvel at the SEAT fleet when he gets back to my place :)

I'll send out the link on this in an email shortly & will try to compile a list of questions to try & gleam answers to over the weekend!

14. LEE69

LEE69 Stage 2 Revo'd

You sound so excited (git) lol

15. m0rk

m0rk sarcasm comes free
    Staff Member

Yup :)

Forgot to say, we'll probably be using our SCN Twitter feed for progress as it's less bandwidth intensive whilst roaming between hotels & the free wifi at McDonalds

https://twitter.com/#!/SEATCupradotnet

16. jc_boc

It's gonna be epic mate, can't wait to read all the results etc and see piccies too.

17. t0m

t0m LCR 225

Have a great time guys! Looks awesome :)

18. Red Panda

Red Panda Full Member

Safe Journey and have a Great Trip guys :)

19. Stu B

Stu B DarthWombleIII & WombleII

Got you on my twitter feed - lucky beeeepers :)

Anyway should be a corker of a trip - suggestion video some of the drive to post at a later date ie le mans / Pue du Dome...

20. m0rk

m0rk sarcasm comes free
    Staff Member

I'm hoping to video those as suggested, and Millau Bridge :) And maybe the nutty drivers in Spain