2011 Ibiza ST 1.2d Ecomotive - EML light and Error Codes question

Coultharda

Dec 4, 2015
Hi all,
I have a 2011 Ibiza ST 1.2 Ecomotive and while it drives fine and I have never noticed in being in limp mode it does have the EML light on (all the time now). I had the error codes read recently and they were recorded as P0405 :Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve position sensor A low input and P0103: Trouble code definition. Mass Airflow (MAF) Circuit High. The garage said that the codes were not live but stored and there were no indications of sensor failure at the time.
It has passed though an MOT ok in this state.
My question is after reading up on this do people feel this is most likely a wiring issue from the MAF and EGR rather than a sensor issue ?
Oh, and no I have not had the fix done yet and am thinking I won't . Car has done close to 100,000 miles with no issues so far... fuel economy is good and can still get >90mpg at 50mph on the flat averages 65-70mpg. No issues with rough idle, acceleration, or top end speed.
Would be grateful for any advice ?
I would rather not take it to the SEAT dealer and get charged £££ for replacing the MAF and EGR but don't know enough to diagnose a simpler problem myself hopefully with a simpler fix.

Thanks.

A

FYI if anyone is interested in a facebook group on the emissions scandal search for ""

Last edited:

Coultharda

Dec 4, 2015
Hi, Did you ever get this fixed?
Yes,
I went to an independent garage and had the EGR valve / cooler replaced. There was also a faulty injector. Overall about £1500 to fix.
Apart from an exhaust sensor failing it has been fine and is close to 125,000 miles now.

Feb 4, 2019
Yes,
I went to an independent garage and had the EGR valve / cooler replaced. There was also a faulty injector. Overall about £1500 to fix.
Apart from an exhaust sensor failing it has been fine and is close to 125,000 miles now.

Ah I see. I think I'm going to see if the EGR can be fixed by the Dieselgate scheme on mine. P0405 is the error code I'm getting. I've just had the Exhaust Gas Temperature fixed, that was about £140 with Labour.

Other than that I've had a single dodgey bump stop and had the Cam Belt changed at 5 years for a cost of about £400.

I'm hoping it's not too expensive to keep this motor running, I'd like to see it last long enough that my next car will be a reasonably priced used electric or hybrid.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.