2011 Leon Mk3

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
All I can think is this, from the Ibiza Mk4 to Mk5, Leon Mk1 to Mk2 and Toledo Mk2 to Mk3 SEAT have always done 'radical' re-designs.

Little remains of the previous shape so why not expect the Mk3 Leon to look absolutely nothing like what we've seen here..... essentially mis-matched and stretched Ibizas, Leons and Volvos.

Maximus2000uk

132rb.jpg

134z.jpg

A couple of concepts I found. Not too fond of them myself but is gives a general idea...

Right, so we either buy a Volvo C30, or a 2003 Renault Megane!

SEAT need to come up with something new and exciting for the next LEON so as to make up for the last decade of terrible design - The Altea is a smaller Leon which itself is a smaller Toledo. The EXEO is an old Audi A4, albeit slightly more stylish. The new Ibiza is quite good looking, and so fingers crossed the designers keep on that route!

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
The Geneva International Motorshow might be worth a look in the next couple of weeks, as SEAT may just have something more conceptual on offer. :)

An educated guess, it might be the right time for the introduction of a Leon concept. A 2011 launch on the cards, possibly even 5 door and 3 door SC variants on offer, hot models to follow in 2012.

or they might just show a new Alhambra :)

Based on the Ibiza's popularity and its welcoming press reviews regarding its new design, I believe SEAT will want to make haste in introducing a freshened Leon line-up.

Maximus2000uk

I personally dontthink that SEAT will show us any new concepts, aside from the new Alhambra.

Furthermore, I dont think they will give any hint as to the new Leon for fear of putting off potential new buyers of the recently Face-lifted Leon. They would, in effect, be shooting themselves in the foot and I dont think VW Group want to do that to their Spanish arm.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
We will have to wait and see ;) Worth remembering though that the Mk2 Leon concept/prototype was shown more than 2 clear years ahead of the Cupra. Mk2 went mainstream in 2005, Cupra didn't hit the UK until early 2007.

The Mk1 had a similar time frame of 5/6 years of production. Cupra R being the final premium model 2002-2005, I'm still seeing a pattern.

Current Mk2 production is done or signed off on anyway, sales have either been made or will be made over the coming 12 months. If a Mk3 concept was revealed this year, then it won't be production ready for at least a year so summer 2011 and then it will only be the volume specs, S, Ecomotive, Sport. FR Cupra could stretch 2012 early 2013.

Regardless of concept cars stealing a peak a future direction, I doubt it would sway sales.

Leonidas

I heard they might be showing a hybrid concept called IBE (new Arosa possibly)

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Lots of talk recently of hybrid cars. City cars based on the VW Up! platform, fuel efficient and cheap.

However from an outlook point of view I would much rather see SEAT introduce a family car hybrid rather than a baby car hybrid at this point in time. Efficient, cheap to run, low to tax, family cars are what will inevitably drive consumer demand once the governments have fleeced us.

You can't fit 2 adults 2 kids and the weekly shop in a city car.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
I don't really think these electric / hybrid cars are good value at the moment.
The technology is advancing so quickly, that resale value must be very poor.
Also the batteries must have limited lifespans?
For me purely petrol engines are the way forward!

If you want to work out how much your (totally) electric car costs to charge it's:

Charge Time (hours) X 3600 X Wattage of charger (or ampage X 240) / (kWH (Joules Used per Hour)) (3.6X10n6) X Electricity Unit Price (pence)

So for a 10 hour charge using a 3000 charger with a Electricity price of 7.5 pence per Unit:

10 X 3600 X 3000 / 3600000 X 0.075 = £2.25 for a 10 hour charge.

If that charge gets you 30 miles then: 2.25 / 30 = 7.5pPM

Last edited:

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
However from an outlook point of view I would much rather see SEAT introduce a family car hybrid rather than a baby car hybrid at this point in time. Efficient, cheap to run, low to tax, family cars are what will inevitably drive consumer demand once the governments have fleeced us.

thats what lexus are doing. their lf-ch(?) is going to be starting at sub £20k.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
As a car enthusiast I can't think of anything more horrific than hybrids, but unfortunately its a cold hard fact of life that this kind of vehicle is what will drive future 'volume' demand. Especially as governments make the dangling carrot ever more enticing for customers and manufacturers alike.

Cupra's with big petrol engines are not volume cars, they are not the general idea of a shopping trolley, run of the mill family wagons. As tax and fuel costs rise as well as restrictive rules on what manufacturers can produce the long-term outlook only gets grim for the sports car. I think its a case of we should all make the most of it while it lasts.

Electric Hybrid I see as a middle road measure towards the greater long-term goal of introducing affordable and sustainable Hydrogen Fuel cell based vehicles.

It won't kill of petrol or performance cars overnight, but its got to be accepted that hydrocarbons are generally perceived to be a finite source of fuel. I know scientists are working on ways to produce petrols from crops and other sources, but as far as I'm aware the best source is still sucking the stuff out of the ground in the form of crude oil.

Last edited:

warren_cox

Back from the dead
As a car enthusiast I can't think of anything more horrific than hybrids, but unfortunately its a cold hard fact of life that this kind of vehicle is what will drive future 'volume' demand. Especially as governments make the dangling carrot ever more enticing for customers and manufacturers alike.

Hopefully like plasma TV's, if Tesla's become a more volume produced item we may start to see some at the £30k price point. That said, since getting a decent exhaust on the S3 I've noticed the sound of a car gives it a character, so I'm not sure how the sound of silence will cut it 'auto emocion' wise. Maybe the future of cars is purely to get from 'A to B', and for anything fossil based pleasures we'll have to stash a fuel based track day car for weekend circuit activity. Hopefully many years away.

Leonidas

Well just in case the new Leon looks like the IBE, heres some ideas...

leonnn.jpg

4564546.jpg

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.