2014 Ibiza 1.4 FR Garmin Sat Nav Help Please

ric04vrs

Aug 1, 2016
It’s just a normal USB lead iirc, something like the lead that charges the controllers on a PS3

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Its mini USB on my 2014 Garmin.

So you need a USB to mini USB cable to hook it up to your PC.

That's different from micro USB (phone charging connector).

Reactions: john2017

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I don't even know what ports are on a Mac.

At least the Garmin Fresh software is Mac compatible.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Port is generic like airport or seaport - planes or ships go in or out - data departs or arrives into your mac

But Macs use a different kind of data that is not compatible with the data found in the rest of the world. It is 'special' data that costs more than other data, despite doing exactly the same thing.

john2017

john2017
Jan 1, 2008
Leicestershire
well that's true there are weaknesses', but then again I don't need to use a firewall or virus checker, my mac never slows down or freezes so there are advantages

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
But Macs use a different kind of data that is not compatible with the data found in the rest of the world. It is 'special' data that costs more than other data, despite doing exactly the same thing.
Let's not turn this into a mac vs Windows debate. Both have purpose as I own both.
well that's true there are weaknesses', but then again I don't need to use a firewall or virus checker, my mac never slows down or freezes so there are advantages
As for your usb cable... You should be able to buy any USB2 or USB3 cable that fits the mac..

Does the socket on the sat nav for the USB look like these?
Screenshot_20190420-111953__01.jpg

These are the standards for most things unless it's usb c which is an oval shape.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
We've had Apple stuff and wouldn't go there again. Everything about Apple is designed for one thing, to get more money off you.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
We've had Apple stuff and wouldn't go there again. Everything about Apple is designed for one thing, to get more money off you.
Thankfully everyone has their right to their opinion but it's only that. I could name many things that are better natively on a mac.

Anyway mac Windows talk over we could try and help the poster find a cable he needs...

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Let's not turn this into a mac vs Windows debate. Both have purpose as I own both.

As for your usb cable... You should be able to buy any USB2 or USB3 cable that fits the mac..

Does the socket on the sat nav for the USB look like these?
View attachment 6331

These are the standards for most things unless it's usb c which is an oval shape.

I already posted that the 2014 Garmin has a mini USB having checked the unit in our Ibiza prior to posting. The cable needs one of those plus whatever is on the MAC end.

So we're back at post #3 then.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I already posted that the 2014 Garmin has a mini USB having checked the unit in our Ibiza prior to posting. The cable needs one of those plus whatever is on the MAC end.

So we're back at post #3 then.
Sorry buddy, I didn't read everything... I missed the year in the subject that was the same as yours.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
John, it's not too difficult mate. You just need Garmin FRESH software (for WIndows or OSX as required) and an internet connection.

Download & Install Fresh.

Run Fresh.

Hook your satnav to the PC/MAC running Fresh.

Follow any prompts to update the satnav software (this is free).

New maps are not free so you have to subscribe.

Speed cameras subscriptions cost extra too.

I think it's easier to do at home rather than on a public wi-fi or 4G when you're out and about.

Hope it all works for you.

john2017

john2017
Jan 1, 2008
Leicestershire
John, it's not too difficult mate. You just need Garmin FRESH software (for WIndows or OSX as required) and an internet connection.

Download & Install Fresh.

Run Fresh.

Hook your satnav to the PC/MAC running Fresh.

Follow any prompts to update the satnav software (this is free).

New maps are not free so you have to subscribe.

Speed cameras subscriptions cost extra too.

I think it's easier to do at home rather than on a public wi-fi or 4G when you're out and about.

Hope it all works for you.
ok but it only updates maps to q4 2014...any help with further updates would be appreciated

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
You have to buy the new maps. I just went on Fresh, and there is a section - FreshShop.

In there I remember you can pay for your choice of a number of years of updates. I think I bought 2 or 3 years when the car was new.

Once paid you can download the newest map set. And every 3 months or so there is an updated one.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Ok John, I just spent 45 minutes fixing my Windows install so that Fresh will work and I can look at it for you.

I then reinstalled Fresh 3.6.0 (WIndows version)and connected my Satnav.

Go to Navigation Software Update- then updated its software to 7.16.9.

Now In Freshshop. New maps Q2 2019 are £55 if you want them.

Look in Download Maps and Services too - it shows you if your Garmin has any valid map subscriptions - mine have expired so I would need to pay for newer maps.

There's also free stuff to download. Radio station logos, road signs etc.

Last edited:

john2017

john2017
Jan 1, 2008
Leicestershire
Ok John, I just spent 45 minutes fixing my Windows install so that Fresh will work and I can look at it for you.

I reinstalled Fresh 3.6.0 (WIndows version). Connected my Satnav.

Go to Navigation Software Update- then updated its software to 7.16.9.

Now In Freshshop. New maps Q2 2019 are £55 if you want them.

Look in Download Maps and Services too - it shows you if your Garmin has any valid map subscriptions - mine have expired so I would need to pay for newer maps.

There's also free stuff to download. Radio station logos, road signs etc.
£55 is quite a lot of money when I just paid out £8k for my ibiza fr and we already have a standalone tom tom device withe free map updates. I do like the way the garmin integrates with some of the car functions though, it's a dilemma!