Jan 12, 2019
So I'm looking at buying a 2015 Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4L TSI for around £10,000 with circa 35,000 miles on the clock and I just wanted to know if the later 1.4L engine was any more reliable?

I've read a few horror stories regarding the engine but perhaps it only happens to the older models, or if to does also happen to any 1.4L TSI what generally causes it? I don't want to risk buying a car that the engine may fail on in a month, or a few years time...

I've been also looking at a Vauxhall Corsa VXR which has a 1.6L Turbo engine that is quicker and seems to be for the most part, much more reliable.

So, what are peoples thoughts on the 2015 Cupra's engine, or do you think I would be better suited going for a Corsa for my price range?

Thanks!

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
So I'm looking at buying a 2015 Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4L TSI for around £10,000 with circa 35,000 miles on the clock and I just wanted to know if the later 1.4L engine was any more reliable?

I've read a few horror stories regarding the engine but perhaps it only happens to the older models, or if to does also happen to any 1.4L TSI what generally causes it? I don't want to risk buying a car that the engine may fail on in a month, or a few years time...

I've been also looking at a Vauxhall Corsa VXR which has a 1.6L Turbo engine that is quicker and seems to be for the most part, much more reliable.

So, what are peoples thoughts on the 2015 Cupra's engine, or do you think I would be better suited going for a Corsa for my price range?

Thanks!
Hey hazzaa. Some good choices in car there. The seat I would say is a nicer looking car. I can't speak for the engine but every car in the world has someone who is in the "horror" story clan. My fiance has a corsa D. Only a 1.2 but I would says it quite an easy car to work on, but I would say it's the strongest built but it's not a fix every week type of thing. If I were you if you could possibly stretch to a 2016 plate to maybe get that one year of warranty cover to try the car and test things out. The 2015 plate your looking at do u know the history of it, was it previously owned or a showroom car??

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Jan 12, 2019
Hey hazzaa. Some good choices in car there. The seat I would say is a nicer looking car. I can't speak for the engine but every car in the world has someone who is in the "horror" story clan. My fiance has a corsa D. Only a 1.2 but I would says it quite an easy car to work on, but I would say it's the strongest built but it's not a fix every week type of thing. If I were you if you could possibly stretch to a 2016 plate to maybe get that one year of warranty cover to try the car and test things out. The 2015 plate your looking at do u know the history of it, was it previously owned or a showroom car??

Yeah I must admit the Seat in my opinion does look considerably nicer than the Corsa, although saying that I feel like the Corsa VXR has a nicer interior and I also like the dual pipes at the back of it. I was shocked finding the Corsa VXR has better performance than the Cupra too, if I went for the Vauxhall I would get a 2016 model with around 20,000 miles on it. I guess you always see some sort of horror story don't you, same with any car I suppose!

I'm just unsure if the Cupra has serious engine issues with the 1.4L as I've read a lot of people saying there's has failed and it costs a few thousand £'s to fix... I don't know if I could take that risk... I'm unsure of the history of it at the moment, it's at a Seat dealer and it comes with 12-month warranty through themselves. I would love to get a 2016 model with the newer 1.8L engine however the insurance goes insanely high due to the fact that I'm only 20. I'm looking at around £750/y for the VXR or Cupra 1.4L on insurance, when I tried a quote with the 1.8L Cupra it sky rockets to around £2k!

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Yeah I must admit the Seat in my opinion does look considerably nicer than the Corsa, although saying that I feel like the Corsa VXR has a nicer interior and I also like the dual pipes at the back of it. I was shocked finding the Corsa VXR has better performance than the Cupra too, if I went for the Vauxhall I would get a 2016 model with around 20,000 miles on it. I guess you always see some sort of horror story don't you, same with any car I suppose!

I'm just unsure if the Cupra has serious engine issues with the 1.4L as I've read a lot of people saying there's has failed and it costs a few thousand £'s to fix... I don't know if I could take that risk... I'm unsure of the history of it at the moment, it's at a Seat dealer and it comes with 12-month warranty through themselves. I would love to get a 2016 model with the newer 1.8L engine however the insurance goes insanely high due to the fact that I'm only 20. I'm looking at around £750/y for the VXR or Cupra 1.4L on insurance, when I tried a quote with the 1.8L Cupra it sky rockets to around £2k!
Well I would definitely ask seat for actual documentation of what their 12 month warranty covers. As if u ask he salesman he may just say it's covers "most" things but it's not that clear cut. But once you know what it covers. You can compare that to some of the.commin issues you have read about and see if it's covered or put it on here and I'm sure people will be able to let you know if it's covered. So the cupra could be an option. I think it's different to the vxr. Ur going to spend so much on the car you want to stand out.from the crowd and I think corsa is just everywhere. Your very young and I believe everyone should have the car they want once (without going into debt lol). What u may want to do is just try to find some post on here about he cupra and direct.message a few owners and simply ask them straight if they had issues, to cover all bases to get question answerd

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The problem lies with the fact that that 1.4TSI engine with the higher power output, is a twin charger, ie has a supercharger and a turbo charger, so that makes it potentially an expensive engine to run when it is over 4 years old.

The historical facts behind that design of engine make for some very wallet crunching reading, yes it was a brilliant design and yes it won many industry awards for being that - the flip side being, a very high percentage of the original build needed to be scrapped off by VW Group or simply bought back quietly and sent to the auctions - for so poor mug to buy and cry. The early revision of that engine seems to have attended to some of its basic design failings, but still cars were quietly bought back and sent to auction, so much so that VW Group dropped that engine concept a lot earlier than need be, or planned.

Now some people will own these car and be relatively lucky and enjoy an amazing car - do you feel lucky, if so why not take the risk, as long as you have reserves of spare cash waiting to sort out anything that SEAT manage to slither/slide away from.

At one point I almost bought my wife a slightly used Audi A1 5 door and it would only be that engine power out version that I would have considered, I bought her a brand new Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL for similar money - I consider that I missed a stray bullet there.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.