2017 leon engine power

graemebillo

Sep 9, 2010
liverpool
Hi everyone.

I've just taken delivery of my new Leon SC 1.4 FR 150bhp, ive swapped from the 2013 140bhp version.

after using it for a few days the engine just doesnt seem as punchy as my old one, it just seems to gradually get upto speed, even in Sport mode.

I'm even starting to wonder if i actually have the 1.4 125bhp version by accident.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this or am i just paranoid. :)

Thanks

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
How many miles are on your "new" leon, it may need to need a few a thousand miles to loosen up and perform at its best.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
If it's got a lot of extras it probably weighs more than the old one did... An extra 50kgs of equipment could easily feel like knocking 20bhp off of the engine

Last edited:

graemebillo

Sep 9, 2010
liverpool
The 1.4 ecotsi has blue or black wiring plugs on top of the 2nd and 3rd cylinders as seen In the middle of this pic.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1...0#tbm=isch&q=1.4tsi+act&imgrc=4oFu0OHCLulCeM:

It should have them if it's the 150

Hi Curtly,

Thanks for that I was wondering if there was anyway to tell the engines apart.
Had a look, it does have black wiring plugs to the top of the cylinders.

Hi mty12345

Its got pretty much the same spec as the previous one, although who knows what they've added during the facelift

Ah well, i suppose it is what it is.

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
It's so funny you should post this...

We're looking at changing the wife's car and had a test drive in a 150hp 1.4EcoTSI at the weekend.

It was literally brand new, still had delivery plastic on etc. After the test drive we were both very underwhelmed. We expected more from 150hp. Granted we didn't test it in Sport mode, I assume it was just set to Eco by default, or is 'Normal' default?

Let's put it this way, my 1.0EcoTSI in my Ibiza feels like a better drive! Maybe we just had a duff one and the issues were down to the fact it had just rolled off the production line and the engine was still very tight!

Altogether though, the car itself is very nice, lovely interior and nice ride.

Last edited:

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
Forgot to add, when we told the dealer that we were underwhelmed, they were a bit shocked. I even asked if it was the lower powered 125hp 1.4 TSI but they were adamant it wasn't.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Don't forget that manufacturers are allowed a +/- percentage when it comes to power outputs, not sure what it is but say its 5%. That means that your previous 140 could have produced 147 if it was a + . And if your current 150 is a -, it may be producing only 143ish. Not saying this is the case here, but you see what I mean.
I've got a similar experience but the other way. I went from a 140 Passat to a 150, and either the 140 was down on power or the 150 is way up on it as it certainly feels a lot more than 10bhp faster.
Anyway, it's a VAG group car and they wouldn't lie about something...would they? ;)

graemebillo

Sep 9, 2010
liverpool
It's so funny you should post this...

We're looking at changing the wife's car and had a test drive in a 150hp 1.4EcoTSI at the weekend.

It was literally brand new, still had delivery plastic on etc. After the test drive we were both very underwhelmed. We expected more from 150hp. Granted we didn't test it in Sport mode, I assume it was just set to Eco by default, or is 'Normal' default?

Let's put it this way, my 1.0EcoTSI in my Ibiza feels like a better drive! Maybe we just had a duff one and the issues were down to the fact it had just rolled off the production line and the engine was still very tight!

Altogether though, the car itself is very nice, lovely interior and nice ride.

As you said, lovely car the interior seems lot nicer and the upgrade for the full link etc from the old model is great.

Does seem quite odd, this car does shut off its cylinders down to 3 & 2 dependant on usage which i think is good, but i wonder if that has something to do with it.

graemebillo

Sep 9, 2010
liverpool
I think it's actually £160 for the 1.4 EcoTSI :-o

I pushed the dealer to have it registered before the 31st march, so luckily it still falls into the £30 pre april tax barrier, it was one of my conditions with them for buying the car that it would be here and reg before the 31st.

Stupid that the exact same car registered the day after is £140 a year.

It surprised me how many people didnt know that there was a tax change coming until it was upon us, as it was sneaked in the budget during the brexit vote last year.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Hi everyone.

I've just taken delivery of my new Leon SC 1.4 FR 150bhp, ive swapped from the 2013 140bhp version.

after using it for a few days the engine just doesnt seem as punchy as my old one, it just seems to gradually get upto speed, even in Sport mode.

I'm even starting to wonder if i actually have the 1.4 125bhp version by accident.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this or am i just paranoid. :)

Thanks

Out of curiosity, what petrol you have in the car? Don't say supermarket fuel....if yes try Momentum 99 or Shell V Power and see if you notice any change. Also I would say try not to explore the full rev range until you have 500-1000 miles on the clock...

As FR2013 mentioned his 1.0 EcoTSI feels a better drive (oops)... then again...VAG 1.0 TSI has been shown to make up to 134bhp stock... and 100 kg lighter than the Leon....

However it still does not give me the 'plane taking off' shove in the back my old 2.0 TDI 150 did...

However when various Ibiza owners who have this 1.4 ACT engine in the Ibiza they have described it as 'a rocketship' and 'comparable to a Porsche Boxter at lower revs.'

So not sure tbh why the Leon is this 'underwhelming'

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Don't forget that manufacturers are allowed a +/- percentage when it comes to power outputs, not sure what it is but say its 5%. That means that your previous 140 could have produced 147 if it was a + . And if your current 150 is a -, it may be producing only 143ish. Not saying this is the case here, but you see what I mean.
I've got a similar experience but the other way. I went from a 140 Passat to a 150, and either the 140 was down on power or the 150 is way up on it as it certainly feels a lot more than 10bhp faster.
Anyway, it's a VAG group car and they wouldn't lie about something...would they? ;)

It was my understanding (and I could be wrong), that if when they test the engine and if it develops below the badge power (as you mentioned a -% to a limit) @ the base fuel, they have to do something about it. If devlops above (which I think is the case with my 150 TDI and 110 EcoTSI) perhaps Seat they just close one eye and don't bother, bonus to us! Some even say that Cupra 280 and Golf R 300 engines have the same software map...and many Cupras on dyno output 300 or thereabouts at stock.

graemebillo

Sep 9, 2010
liverpool
Out of curiosity, what petrol you have in the car? Don't say supermarket fuel....if yes try Momentum 99 or Shell V Power and see if you notice any change. Also I would say try not to explore the full rev range until you have 500-1000 miles on the clock...

As FR2013 mentioned his 1.0 EcoTSI feels a better drive (oops)... then again...VAG 1.0 TSI has been shown to make up to 134bhp stock... and 100 kg lighter than the Leon....

However it still does not give me the 'plane taking off' shove in the back my old 2.0 TDI 150 did...

However when various Ibiza owners who have this 1.4 ACT engine in the Ibiza they have described it as 'a rocketship' and 'comparable to a Porsche Boxter at lower revs.'

So not sure tbh why the Leon is this 'underwhelming'

Not sure what fuel is currently in it, still using the petrol the dealer filled it with.

Although, i would generally use supermarket fuel. Always have done with all of my cars.

I think its the fact that i am probably making direct comparison to two different engines and to be fair my old leon had done around 30K miles, and was well bedded in.

Maybe should have got an Ibiza FR - haha.
Still love the new leon though, its a worthy upgrade.

villa chris

Jul 4, 2015
im currently driving a 2016 golf gt 1.4 tsi 150 whilst I wait for my new leon.
exactly the same engine in the leon.
got to say my experience of it was it was a cracker of an engine.good low down torque and has the same torque output as the 1.8 tsi (250nm).
my problem was the manual geasrbox(not sure if leon has same gearbox).it was so weak and just didn't feel engaging enough changing gears.
the first few hundred miles it did feel stiff until having broken the engine in.
I was realy amazed my this engine.
with a bit of extra weight in the car you can tell but no need to rev this engine at all as the torque is very low down the range.
i felt overall this engine was great but it was all the other mechanical problems.
i don't use supermarket fuels full stop.they are full of additives.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
I found that it took a good 10k until my engine had completely loosened up in turns of economy, the performance has always been fine. Might have something to do with the middle cylinders not being used all the time.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.