2019 FR Sport tyre pressures

FRSJack

Mar 21, 2019
Afternoon all,

I picked up my '19 Ibiza FR Sport back in March and have just checked the tyre pressures as I was setting the pressure loss warning system.

From the dealership one of the tyres PSI was over 50! And the rest averaging over 40-45PSI... I've since lowered them to what is recommended on the sticker on the door seal, fronts are 38 and rear is 35, though they could be lower. But when looking at the sticker there is also another recommend pressure reading that has an "I" symbol and the pressures are lower. Somebody said this is if you have the 18" wheels which I do.

Could anybody shed some light on this?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
This does seem to happen now and again right across the VW Group brands, PDI, hum, maybe ask the dealership concerned what they understand PDI to mean and what they feel that they do.
My wife's 2015 Polo, when new had correct pressures in all the tyres, so some dealership's sales preparation teams are doing something right.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
All new cars seem to arrive with 'higher' tyre pressure, as they had to be strapped onto the transporter (either big truck or ship), at least that's what the delivery person said. I hope they didn't leave the transport blocks in there too (eg..when the front suspension is higher than the rear) and there are pink or blue (or whatever bright colour) plastic things int between the springs. Mine arrived with pressures excess of 40. I lowered them to my 'happy pressures' of 36 and 33psi. You could keep it on 38/35, and lower it slightly by 1psi at a time and see how you feel. Easier to decrease than to increase.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I suspect dealer PDI teams either don't check or haven't sussed out the difference between 30 psi and 3.0 bar (nearer 45psi) :D

manji

Sep 19, 2010
Portugal
Not sure, but since it doesn't use actual pressure sensors, I'd say it needs a significant difference between wheels.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Anyone knows how to check if low tyre pressure alarm functional??
And what range do it starts to give alarms? Like when tyre lose 1 psi or 10 psi?

I can only speculate it's around 5psi. As I've had a nail in the tyre, and it should have been 28-29PSI normally, but by the time it pinged, I checked it, and it had 22PSI. Probably deflated on the way too..it doesn't tell u which wheel though, you would need to check...

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Not sure, but since it doesn't use actual pressure sensors, I'd say it needs a significant difference between wheels.

I believe I read a VAG manual that said TPMS warns of a 3PSI (0.2bar) drop.

We had a slow puncture for about 12 months on the wifes Ibiza that validated this.

Reactions: manji
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members