20vt traction control ...any tweaks???

Black R

Apr 23, 2002
Visit site
is it at all possible to 'dull ' the sensitivity of the TCS ,it feels way to sensitive blinking its light and cutting the throttle at even the slightest hint of wheels slipping.... which is a bit of a pain when ur trying to blow summit off the lights and halfway through changing into second the throttle cuts and u end up looking a bit silly ....ok so i must turn it off before i do the deed !!:rolleyes:

but

it is a bit of an annoyance pushin the button everytime u want some action .. any hints and i would be grateful :)

chriskaven

Feb 25, 2002
Essex
Visit site
I agree, it is a bit over the top especially when accelerating out of slowish bends or off roundabouts. Once above about 60 ish i think it seems good though, gives just enough control to limit the understeer but without cutting power too much.

Solution:

Turn it off or try to anticipate when it kicks in and lift off slightly!

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
Yes, its WAY too sensitive in 1st gear... If I floor it and break traction the TCS backs off so much and so suddenly that you end up going flying forward and your seatbelt locks up!

I asked Jabbasport if they though it could be made a little less sensitive and also less agressive when it does go into action but they said that theres probably nothing you could do! :(

Anyway, the solution I'm going for is to it a Racelogic Traction Control unit. :) Should work really well.

Ben

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Ben,

Make sure you tell them that you don't want to pay full price.

I think Dave got the basic system for full price & then got 'extras' fitted by them.

don't bother with the launch control - all it did was encourage clutch dumping.

CustardCupra

Feb 2, 2002
Cleveland
Visit site
TCS seems more harsh when it kicks in on chipped cars IMHO because of the amount of boost dropping off followed by turbo lag , didn't seem too bad when it was standard. I just got in the habit of turning it off every time i get in now .
Bloody crude device anyway ,
Also find ABS a tad too sensitive aswell , had that kicking in during heavy braking @ 130mph Fooooking scary!!!!!!

Jools:D

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
Cheers Mark, I'll try that and see if I get any freebies, but I doubt it, I never do!

jools, I agree that the ABS isn't very good. Actually, I tested the ABS the other day (The RAC actually recommend that everyone practices doing an ABS stop!!) and I was suprised how badly it worked. I was coming up to a roundabout (No cars around) and I slammed on the brakes and the car just wasn't decellerating very much at all... I ended up about a car length over the line! I tried it again but this time using my own braking judgement and I stopped in less than half the distance!

This worries me coz I thought that in a car with ABS you should just slam on the brakes full force in an emergency and not worry about braking too hard, but with these findings I can definately say that you need to try to stop without the ABS cutting in!

hopkinsgm

Do-doo-be-do-do-dooo
May 25, 2001
Swindon (occasionally)
Visit site
Originally posted by BenS1
...I thought that in a car with ABS you should just slam on the brakes full force in an emergency and not worry about braking too hard...
Nope - ABS stops the wheels from locking, so in theory you can steer the car round an obstacle while you brake without the car skidding. Although in practice most people feel the pulsing through the brake pedal, sh1t themselves and lift off the pedal. I guess is why the RAC advise everyone to try their ABS out in a "safe" environment, so you know what it feels like should you ever need to rely on it in an emergency.

Braking in the shortest distance possible is all about using all of the available grip from the tyres, pressing the brake pedal JUST hard enough to keep on the very limit of the wheels locking. A driver with a good feel for the brake pedal will pull up significantly quicker than someone who just boots the middle pedal and lets the electronics sort it out - as you've discovered.

Anyway, wasn't this thread about traction control?

G

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Originally posted by BenS1
Cheers Mark, I'll try that and see if I get any freebies, but I doubt it, I never do!

jools, I agree that the ABS isn't very good. Actually, I tested the ABS the other day (The RAC actually recommend that everyone practices doing an ABS stop!!) and I was suprised how badly it worked. I was coming up to a roundabout (No cars around) and I slammed on the brakes and the car just wasn't decellerating very much at all... I ended up about a car length over the line! I tried it again but this time using my own braking judgement and I stopped in less than half the distance!

This worries me coz I thought that in a car with ABS you should just slam on the brakes full force in an emergency and not worry about braking too hard, but with these findings I can definately say that you need to try to stop without the ABS cutting in!

Ibiza's ABS sux - Nasty over sensitive system.
Ok for the road I guess in the wet perhaps, but on track it is simply awefull.

Pulled the fuse and ran without it and it felt mor elike a normal car which I am driving (not it) - Need more time to sort out the feel of that.
Castle Combe next Saturday so I will see what its like then.

Bill

whelme

Jul 3, 2001
St.Ives, Cambs
Visit site
Originally posted by custard cruiser
is it at all possible to 'dull ' the sensitivity of the TCS ,it feels way to sensitive blinking its light and cutting the throttle at even the slightest hint of wheels slipping.... which is a bit of a pain when ur trying to blow summit off the lights and halfway through changing into second the throttle cuts and u end up looking a bit silly ....ok so i must turn it off before i do the deed !!:rolleyes:

but

it is a bit of an annoyance pushin the button everytime u want some action .. any hints and i would be grateful :)

As previously said, a change of tyres made mine a load better even with the extra power now. The eagle F1s are loads better than the Michs it had standard.

Black R

Apr 23, 2002
Visit site
mine came with pirelli P Zeros.. the issue i have with the TCs is the fact that it enables too early .. it would feel better if the TCS let the wheels slip a little bit more than it does now before it cuts the throttle...and by the sounds of things there isnt anyway of adjusting it :(

NickMartin

Sorry to dig up an old thread... Didnt wanna start a new one :p

Since moving from crappy dunlop S2000 which the previous owner had put on, to F1's, ive noticed a huge difference with the TCS (as its labeled in my car).

Still have to turn off TCS when wanting to drive more assertively through roundabouts etc tho.

Tried an emergency stop last nite, damp road, good surface tho, couldnt get the brakes to lock. Attemped the same on a 'county lane' style road & ABS etc kicked in. Am i to assume that the F1s are too much for the brakediscs etc??

mulletman

Limp Mode Squad ™
Mar 26, 2004
i thought you could fit an audi s3 traction control system to an ibiza and they're supposed to be really good, might be wrong

Stevo1

May 21, 2004
St Ives, Cambs
I think Jabba have uploaded the S3 TCS code to a few Ibiza's on here. Meant to be much less intrusive. Ive got no issues with how early the system cuts in, but I feel it is far too clumbsy when it does, as it cuts great chunks of power and it takes ages for you to return back to full power. I think the S3 system works much faster than the Ibiza's, so in theory it should be less clumbsy. Don't know whether it can be uploaded to a standard Ibiza ECU though?

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
I have the upgraded TCS in my IHI'd Ibiza. Its tons better than the original traction control, but I have to say that the TCS and ABS in our Vauxhall Tigra is much better!

On the Tigra if you try to break traction the TCS detects the wheel spin and adjusts the power accordingly. on the Ibiza (Even with my upgraded TCS) you can easily break traction and then the power cuts out quite abruptly, so if you continue to floor it on a wet road you get a very rough ride.... not so on the Tigra.

Ben

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise