20vt traction control ...any tweaks???

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
The Jabba IHI remap includes some tweeks to the TCS code. Its much better than the original TCS but in general the VAG TCS is miles behind the TCS offerred by other companies such as Vauxhall.

Similarly the ABS on both our Tigra and out Clio is much better than on my Ibiza.

Ben

phil_m

Nov 30, 2005
Suffolk
Has anyone used racelogic traction control/Launch control as i have no standard t/c in my car and was thinking of getting it.

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
You have NO traction control in a Golf 1.8T? Has it always been like that or only since you had the IHI upgrade? Remember on the Golf its called ASC not TCS, or is part of your ESP if you have that.

I too thouht about getting the Racelogic, but after discussing it with them I decided not to. The problem is, the traction control (Both standard and Racelogic) detect a wheelspin as being the front wheels spinning faster than the rear wheels (Plus a small margin allowing for differences in cornering).

This is fine when you are travelling normally, but if you get the back end out on a fwd car the front wheels will be turning faster than the rear wheels. What you should do at this point is countersteer an accelerate.... however traction control thinks you are just wheelspinning and so actually cuts the power!!! The net result is that the back end keeps coming round and you just spin!

And this isn't just theory.... when I first got my IHI i went out on track, and as I was getting used to the power and it was very wet I decided to leave the TCS on for the first track session.... and you guessed it, the back end came around, I tried to accelerate out of it but the TCS cut the power.... and around I went over the grass. And the best bit, I have it all on video:

http://www.thesleats.com/Vids/MallorySpin.wmv

:help:

Cheers
Ben

phil_m

Nov 30, 2005
Suffolk
Thanks Ben

No my golf has def not got it i dont think they came with it before 2000, Makes sense what you are saying but what about in a straight line, Do people actually use there t/c on the strip.

Oh and cant get the video to work mate.

edit working now

Phil

Last edited:

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
ben,what did the golf driver say when you over took him and then spun out?i bet he was laughing when he went passed ,looked a "tad" slippy

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
Phil, normal TCS isn't any good for strip racing, but Racelogic is meant to be pretty good for that.

Jason, yes I think he probably had a good laugh. He said he got it all on camera but I never got his email address to get a copy. :(

Cheers
Ben

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members