225/40/18 to 225/45/18

Penguin

Jan 15, 2014
Morning all,
Quick question regarding tyre profiles. Where I work they have kindly introduced speed humps in the car parks. My lowered Leon now scrapes slightly as I go over them. The humps are the kind with spring loaded "teeth" on them so it's these "teeth" that are catching.
Currently have 225/40/18 fitted and was thinking of moving to 225/45/18 to give me a touch more clearance.
Has anybody done this? I've read bits about this affecting speedo readings etc.
Or am I worrying about nothing with regards to the car catching on these humps.
Thanks in advance.

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
By my calcs that would raise the car by about 12mm, and give you a difference in speedo reading of around 4% (the speedo would read slow). Going to higher profile tyres would change the gearing also, is this something you want?

I would consider changing the springs, assuming that is how it has been lowered. Or fit coilovers to give 'proper' ride height adjustment.

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
The springs are designed to simply brush gently along the tyre/bottom of the car. So long as you don't reverse or roll backwards I would say you're worrying over nothing and they won't cause any damage

Penguin

Jan 15, 2014
The springs are designed to simply brush gently along the tyre/bottom of the car. So long as you don't reverse or roll backwards I would say you're worrying over nothing and they won't cause any damage

I'll try and check when it's not busy there to if I can see what's catching. Hopefully you're right.