2k off new fr`s

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
darrellr said:
Just to be careful. We're any MKV GTI's (or any other 2 Litre FSI Turbo) done whilst you were there?

Unfortunatly not. The rollers are supposed to be pretty much the most accurate in the country. Also everyone else got the expected results.

Even if its not accurate, it wouldnt be 10% + over measured.

Harv

having seen the result of a bog stock diesel SE at 143 i would say you proberbly have around 185/190 bhp .

Rolling roads are of no relevant use for power runs and only loosely give a rule of thumb .

the operator /tyres/ transmission can all affect the result by 10 to 15 % ,and the only real use is when you use them as a base and then work on the car .

don't dispare to much ,as its still proberbly a little over stock ,but when you compare an engine on a rolling road ,and then an engine dyno you'll be amazed at how rollers overread .

bet they had your tyres running at strange preasures too.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Whats a strange tyre pressure?

These rollers are supposed to be spot on.

Also ive been told by a VAG technician that the diesels are usually higher than the official output. The thing is that most people were getting spot on results, especially for people who has stock cars.

Harv

no rolling road is spot on , that i assure you , and its a mith that cars produce over there stated bhp .....yes maybe on an engine dyno they give 3 or 4 bhp over . tolerances on modern engine prodiction is much better these days and they are always within a bit , having experience of many rolling roads with many different cars i can tell you everyone always says theres is spot on .

i should have brought a car up thats been on an engine dyno , that way its a known power output , we have doen this in the past and not 1 has given what the dyno does , however the closest came from a set of rollers that clamp to the hubs .

and tyre presures up or down can affect the results , try it net time you do a power run , deflate the tyres and watch the results change.

i am sure you will have a slightly different output but these claims of 6bhp for an aitfilter and 9 bhp from a backbox are not true , don't ask a VAG tech ask and engine builder to explain it to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Harv said:
and tyre presures up or down can affect the results , try it net time you do a power run , deflate the tyres and watch the results change.

My tyres were set at 35psi (or 32, I forget) when I pumped them a few weeks ago, and they were deflated to 30psi for the rollers.

gazjones

most cars that were suposed to be around the 200bhp mark seemed to perform to the specs. mines revo'd to 207 suposedly and i got 203bhp at marlin! so mine was down slightly and dan did got quite late on when it was hot as well!

carl4x4

Aug 25, 2004
I think the point is that Dan's car isn't giving huge amounts over what was expected of the engine, especially as people in other countries have tried the same TFSI Sport's and got similar results (around 200) There are some posts on here from regarding some RR results who did have Golf GTI's on the same day, with similar results. The main question around the TFSI output was whether the UK ones were any different from the Northern European ones. Which it appears they are not.

Yes the filter & exhaust probably don't make a huge difference, but could account for a few BHP. As TFSI owners we're not that bothered about the "09" bit (no offense Dan!) which the exhaust & filter may have scavinged, (although I'm sure it's worth having just for the sound!) it's more the "200" bit we're interested in :)

Triple D

DanGB said:
My tyres were set at 35psi (or 32, I forget) when I pumped them a few weeks ago, and they were deflated to 30psi for the rollers.
Yeah they deflated mine to 30 psi aswell. I think they did that with all of them.

gazjones

yea did with mine but they didnt pump them back up so chek them i spent 40p lasat night doing them up as the car felt very strange when turning the wheel was moving on the tyre wall hadeling was awful

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members