3" air intake

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
ITG is 3" down to 2.5" which causes alot of turbulent air reaching the turbo. i dont think the VF does but i think there is a new version out with the pickup on

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I've been told in the past that the air is turbulent for a reason, its required for the air to be slowed as it passes the MAF. The standard VAG intake is oval shaped and flattened for this same reason.

If it doesn't slow the air down then the MAF scaling can give irregular values, which can lead to mis-fires and lean running as the ECU gets muddled with its mixture ratios.

APR for example redesigned the MAF enclosures on their Stg3 kits and wrote their Stg3 software to suit, as the stock setup caused too many issues.

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
ok, thats news to me so its good to hear differant aspects of each system. there are loads of threads here in the search function i know but none cover the Diameter pro's and cons

ares

Jun 28, 2008
Greece, Athens
TFSIs are quite picky engines. I would suggest to stick to tested solutions that work. MAFs require specific volume and area. A full 3" intake will not work as expected with the stock turbo and peripherals.

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
I'm not skilled in how these components work, I was however leaning towards the ITG version to install on my motor in future.

It would however make sense that the air is turbulent for a reason.

I am assuming you want a bigger pipe to get more air in? What's making you feel your exiting unit isn't doing the job?

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I've been told in the past that the air is turbulent for a reason, its required for the air to be slowed as it passes the MAF. The standard VAG intake is oval shaped and flattened for this same reason.

If it doesn't slow the air down then the MAF scaling can give irregular values, which can lead to mis-fires and lean running as the ECU gets muddled with its mixture ratios.

APR for example redesigned the MAF enclosures on their Stg3 kits and wrote their Stg3 software to suit, as the stock setup caused too many issues.

How is your car running with the ITG after your previous intake Mark?

I've been thinking of heat insulating my pipework on the ITG as the metal piping gets very hot when the car is sat about.

As the MAF is sat in a metal pipe in the ITG unit (as opposed to plastic slot on OEM airbox engine cover), do you think it is likely to get affected by the heat in the pipes transferring into the sensor unit at all when the pipes start cooking? There is no gasket to the MAF to insulate against heat transfer, but wondered whether this would be overkill?

I know they scaled the MAF housing on the ITG unit to 67mm, but it's still cylindrical rather than ovalized like the OEM one. The APR stage 3 conversion does look very well thought out.

ares

Jun 28, 2008
Greece, Athens
Since you have a dbilas intake and it happens a friend of mine to have one (I used to have one too) I am telling you there is not a dramatic difference between this and an open cone intake. Apart from the intakes, my car and his car have the same parts exactly and the same revo settings, except his has a forge twintercooler too. Comparing the grams of air my Evoms v-flow reads to his, mine is like 70grams more. In the dyno though the two cars performed pretty much the same, his has a few bhp more (~5bhp) due to the second intercooler. Sound on the other hand is a different issue. V-flow is a lot louder than dbilas and ITG from what I read is loud too.

owen lcr

orvil
Oct 10, 2006
montrose, scotland
yeah that looks like its a nice piece of kit for sure, i bet it costs a fair bit too... not sure what to do really, it might just be easier putting a cone on the end of the dbilas to see if i like the sound first

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.