3 days old and now my 1.6tdi DPF light is on?

golfgtipaul

Jul 14, 2009
Picked up my 1.6tdi sport sc on Monday, i must say it is a stunning car and i am well impressed with the engine, so glad i didnt get the 1.9tdi. Anyway bloody dpf light came on so i rang the garage. They told me to run the car at 3000 revs for 10 mins and it should go out. Tried it and Bobs your uncle it did go out. My only worry is this going to hapen all the time?

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
possibly. The key think is AS SOON as that light comes on do the run, don't think, "oh, it'll be ok for a bit" I did ten miles round town, to be fair i was booting it about hoping to get the exhaust hot enough to clear it, which probably made it worse quicker, but yeah, ten miles and mine had to go into the garage to be done which usually costs as it's not covered by the warranty.

just think, you've now got an excuse to drop whatever it was you were supposed to be doing and go for a razz in your new car.

golfgtipaul

Jul 14, 2009
19tdi not so bad after all, dont have this problum

hi mate, i am not saying the 1.9tdi is no good. On the contary, i think it is a great engine, and is the reason i bought the car in the first place. They only had a 1.9tdi to test drive back in june. I liked it so much i ordered it. However, the garage said hold on and see how good the 1.6tdi is. I did and personally for me it is much better. Nothing wrong with the old engine tho!

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
Picked up my 1.6tdi sport sc on Monday, i must say it is a stunning car and i am well impressed with the engine, so glad i didnt get the 1.9tdi. Anyway bloody dpf light came on so i rang the garage. They told me to run the car at 3000 revs for 10 mins and it should go out. Tried it and Bobs your uncle it did go out. My only worry is this going to hapen all the time?
Were you given the very small SEAT leaflet detailing the problems that can occur with DPF's - got mine after 6 months of purchase !! no doubt this new model will have some revisons to ECU parameters same has the 2.0 tdi's I have been very lucky with mine to date x fingers - these new style diesels do not like short runs - the old style were more tolerant and can be more economical..................?@!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
is a bit wierd to have to thrash it when the light is 'on'

almost works against your better nature really

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Were you given the very small SEAT leaflet detailing the problems that can occur with DPF's - got mine after 6 months of purchase !!

Nope, didn't get one of those, only info I've been provided with is what's written in the manual, which is very little in the way of caring for your dpf or how long you have between the initial light coming and you having to take it to the garage if you don't do a regen run at home.
Didn't even get one after it'd been to the garage to havea forced regen run done on it.

think i may ring SEAT tomorrow and ask them nicely to send me one :lol:

golfgtipaul

Jul 14, 2009
Nope, didn't get one of those, only info I've been provided with is what's written in the manual, which is very little in the way of caring for your dpf or how long you have between the initial light coming and you having to take it to the garage if you don't do a regen run at home.
Didn't even get one after it'd been to the garage to havea forced regen run done on it.

think i may ring SEAT tomorrow and ask them nicely to send me one :lol:

yeah me too cos i didnt get one either. doesnt the vw engine group 2.0 tdi with 170 bhp use a dpf? When i test drove the new polo someone was complaining about their light coming on etc the same as ours!

stu38

Mar 8, 2007
Essex
Hi guys yes there is a leaflet explaining the regen on the dpf as needed this to sort the dpf out on my leon fr ,does say though not to thrash the engine but to take it steady for a while at around 40mph then that should start the regen cycle. In my case though it turned out it was not the dpf at all but a faulty exhaust sensor quite a common fault by all accounts:rolleyes:

JonnyT30

Jul 18, 2009
You don't have to thrash it to get the light to go out, just get the revs up to about 2000 and carry on driving, the light soon goes out.:D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.