30,000km Oil Change Interval? Seriously? 2017 Leon FR 2.0 TDI

Oct 6, 2019
Hey All,

So I have recently moved to Spain from a country where we change oil every 10,000km MAX. The warranty is up on the Leon so I want to try to preserve the engine for as long as possible because that's how I like to treat my cars. I've been at the dealeshrip and they said that I can change the oil every 30k which to me sounds absolutely nuts.

I live in town where there is almost no stop and go traffic and usually prefer to take highways and backroads to avoid city.

Is the 30k interval an ok thing to do?

Deleted member 103408

In the UK My car was set to 10,000 miles (16,000 km) but personally I used to do it every 5,000 (8,000 km)

Reactions: Gromov

manji

Sep 19, 2010
Portugal
If you use the oil you're supposed to, you can go up to 2 years/30k kms.

I used to change every year, but did very low mileage. On my 1.4 ACT I'll wait the 2 year period and probably change every year after that together with the filters, etc.

Although the car will tell you if it needs it earlier depending on cold starts, stop/starts, etc.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I do it yearly, which has been quite low mileage. Now that we've moved it'll be higher.
I don't like the idea of extended change intervals, especially for the first change. But the oil itself is designed for long life, 15,000 km's is perfectly fine, even 20 - 30k wouldn't hurt under optimum conditions.
Long haul trucks only have oil changes when analysis shows it's needed, which could be 80,000 km's. They also have special filtration systems with bypass filters in addition to the primary full flow filter. And they'll sometimes change filters and leave the oil.

Oct 6, 2019
I do it yearly, which has been quite low mileage. Now that we've moved it'll be higher.
I don't like the idea of extended change intervals, especially for the first change. But the oil itself is designed for long life, 15,000 km's is perfectly fine, even 20 - 30k wouldn't hurt under optimum conditions.
Long haul trucks only have oil changes when analysis shows it's needed, which could be 80,000 km's. They also have special filtration systems with bypass filters in addition to the primary full flow filter. And they'll sometimes change filters and leave the oil.

I bought the car when it had 8 or 9k on the dash and they said that the oil has been changed. I have then changed the oil at around 21-22k. I'm now at 36k and the next oil change according to cars analysis is in around 13k. Of course I won't stretch it this long.

Conditions are actually very nice, since it is Spain, however sometimes I do short trips when taking the kid to school in the morning, which is around 5-6 kms roundtrip in 12 degree weather in winter, the engine however fully warms up in that interval. I also catch up with a longer drive later on the day and there's plenty of highway as well during the week. I don't normally rev it as this is my hypermiling car to offset the Toyota lol.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
At £175 for a simple oil change service my 1.4 ACT lease is only going to get just the one major service in the three years I've got it for, costing £295 for not much than an oil change really.

If the servicing was better value I'd be tempted to change the oil more often but, as I'm going to swap it out at three years old, why bother?

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I bought the car when it had 8 or 9k on the dash and they said that the oil has been changed. I have then changed the oil at around 21-22k. I'm now at 36k and the next oil change according to cars analysis is in around 13k. Of course I won't stretch it this long.

Conditions are actually very nice, since it is Spain, however sometimes I do short trips when taking the kid to school in the morning, which is around 5-6 kms roundtrip in 12 degree weather in winter, the engine however fully warms up in that interval. I also catch up with a longer drive later on the day and there's plenty of highway as well during the week. I don't normally rev it as this is my hypermiling car to offset the Toyota lol.
I should have added that I usually do my own changes, but we stuck to the yearly changes on our Toyota as we had a free 5 year service plan.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.