30 mile McRae convoy smashes world records

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
My mate just picked up his new car and was driving home going past the convoy. He said the amount of people on the motorway bridges was ridiculous and scary considering he was driving a brand new 50k import.

Sorry, but I cant see the relevance of a cars value to the number of people on a bridge it is driving under ?

StuPDi

old guy
Mar 30, 2007
Gillingham Kent
Didn't Richard replace Colin at Subaru when he went off to drive the Focus?

i musta been pissed the whole time :(

i was convinced they had 1 year together, but did a lil searchy and you right, mcrae left end of 1998, and burns started 1999

Stu

Last edited:

markoos

Simples!
Feb 1, 2004
Cumbernauld
Visit site
absolutely agree with all the above, must have taken some orchestrating though!

seems a shame everyone's forgotten about Richard Burns:(

Stu

Was gonna comment on that too,but you beat me to it.They were both legends in my eyes.I just dont think there are any characters in world rallying anymore.

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
i have to agree, since those 2 have left its never really been the same

i had the upmost respect for colin as he was a legend behind the wheel of a rally car, a very fitting and moving trubute to a legend who went before his time

RIP colin and richard

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Anyone mentioned rallying Colins image pops into my head straight away, as said it wasn't just his driving it was his whole personality, then climbing out of a wrecked car and talking in his usual relaxed way!

The late 90's in my head were the peak of the sport for me, you had McCrea, Burns, Makkinen, Sainz and Evans.

gwndaf.gif

All great personalities, just some were greater than others.

img_2.jpg

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Didn't Richard replace Colin at Subaru when he went off to drive the Focus?

They did drive for Prodrive at the same time. RB moved to Mitsubishi in 1996 because there was more chance of a fulltime WRC drive with them. He had done a mix of WRC and Asia-Pacific rallies for Subaru up until that point after winning the BRC in 1993 in a Legacy.

I agree with the McRae-Senna/Burns-Prost analogy. That's very well put. :)

There's a tribute to Richard Burns next weekend: http://www.richardburnsmemorialrally.co.uk/ Markko Martin co-driven by Robert Reid in a 2008 Impreza WRC is the highlight.

Only a few days before the first anniversary of Colin McRae's helicopter crash as well.

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
its hard to beleive its been a year since then, if i was in the country next weekend i may have done to the rally as its pretty local to me