312mm brake upgrade

joewl92

Hi
Im looking to do the 312mm upgrade. However people keep saying different things, will I need calipers and carriers, or just carriers. I have a pre-facelift Ibiza fr, with 288mm's as standard.
Also can you tell me how much your upgrades cost.
Cheers
:)

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
I did this a couple of months ago on my pre-facelift FR. All I bought were the TT calipers and carriers and new discs. The FR already has suitable hubs to accept the new parts.

Didn't take long to do and makes a big diference.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Hi
Im looking to do the 312mm upgrade. However people keep saying different things, will I need calipers and carriers, or just carriers. I have a pre-facelift Ibiza fr, with 288mm's as standard.
Also can you tell me how much your upgrades cost.
Cheers
:)

Hi mate, Lippo said it all really but just to let you know that you can use the calipers and carriers from: mk1 Octavia VRS, Golf 4 Anniversary, mk1 Audi S3 and of course the mk1 TT.

Cost wise I got my calipers and carriers for £60 and discs and pads for £60, pad clips were £5 and a new seal kit was £10 (wanted new seals as the calipers were second hand). All from ebay.
Oh, and a bottle of DOT4 and Gunsons bleed kit: £20.

My calipers are off an Octavia VRS, so they were green when I got them. :sick:
So I needed to apply some elbow grease to get this off and re-paint them... tin of hammerite: £5.

Total £160.

RachIbiza

Jeremy Kyle is my idol
Apr 3, 2008
Portsmouth
i got the whole set off ebay, callipers and carriers, discs and pads (as they needed replacing anyway and so i decided on the upgrade) got them from a company on ebay, you could pick what colour you wanted the callipers too and it came to £245 delivered, bargain! :D

ChrisMK4

Hi, I have a 2006 1.4 sport Ibiza, could I do this conversion on mine or are the tt's and vrs's etc have different hubs, any info would be great.
Cheers
chris

GT Bee

Would these go on as a direct fit onto my 57 FR 1.8T as full upgrade of the brakes?

Ebay Item number: 270600525781

or is it overkill doing the rears as well, would I be better off with:

Item number: 270600525781

Last edited by a moderator:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
That kit is fine for the front, can do rears if you like. I have done on two of mine. You need the rear calipers and carriers from a 2wd car though, not TT etc.

GT Bee

Cheers.

Might just do the fronts first and see how much that improves matters, was a bit of a shock stopping the FR going from grooved Red Dot discs all round that were on our Alfa GT

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Cheers.

Might just do the fronts first and see how much that improves matters, was a bit of a shock stopping the FR going from grooved Red Dot discs all round that were on our Alfa GT

Just uprating the fronts will be fine mate, 180bhp 2WD TT`s use those on the front and 232mm on the back which is what you have.

I did refresh my rear setup when I converted to 312 though - New plain discs and EBC Ultimax (black stuff) pads... the discs needed replacing anyway.

GT Bee

Good to know, thanks.
Ordered them last night. Looking forward to getting them fitted.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Just uprating the fronts will be fine mate, 180bhp 2WD TT`s use those on the front and 232mm on the back which is what you have.

I did refresh my rear setup when I converted to 312 though - New plain discs and EBC Ultimax (black stuff) pads... the discs needed replacing anyway.

Did they do a 2wd 180? Both the 225 and the 180 were quattro and the 150 was 2wd.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Did they do a 2wd 180? Both the 225 and the 180 were quattro and the 150 was 2wd.

I thought they did? Whatever, I mean the 2wd version anyway.

EDIT: Bit of research and yes, you`re right... my bad.

Last edited:

GT Bee

Thanks for pointing out the guide, I don't think the mister would get in it after I fitted the brakes. LOL.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members