3M Di-Noc Carbon Fibre Wrap.....

GunnerCP

Jul 24, 2009
London
Well, the vinyl arrived today from a german company, thought i'd start with the bumper trims but decided against that and started with some smaller pieces, so, I've now donw the two wing mirror casings and all interior handles.

I'm going to wrap the stereo facia and the climate control unit going around to the speedo trim part (whatever the 'official' name is?), I think I'll do those in matt black though. While it's apart I plan to change the L.E.D colours too on the radio and climate control.

Oh and sorry for the purely accidental placing of the pieces, they are now on the car but obviously its dark......

Oh and they are camera phone pics so not the best.

It was actually pretty enjoyable and fairly easy, it's good stuff to work with guys so can reccomend it.

a bit dark....
Photo0317.jpg

with flash....
Photo0318.jpg

close up.....
Photo0319.jpg

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
Looks great !!

You say it goes on easy, how does it go round corners and bend without creasing?

Have seen this stuff for sale from x_graphics but its about £95 a sheet

GunnerCP

Jul 24, 2009
London
Looks great !!

You say it goes on easy, how does it go round corners and bend without creasing?

Have seen this stuff for sale from x_graphics but its about £95 a sheet

it's pretty good, no creases on the mirrors at all, or on the interior panels.

First time I did a mirror it took a little while as that was the first piece I attempted, you heat it up and you goes very supply so you can stretch it to get rid of the creases that you have after it's gone around the curve of the mirror. If you look at my pics and follow the 'weave' of the carbon fibre you'll probably notice one is better than the other for me, it'll do.....

Yea, it is expensive but you apply it dry, no messing around, all creases and what not go with some heat and 'spreading'

I bought it online from Germany, for some reason they threw in a bag of Haribo too...... they didnt last long. :D

GunnerCP

Jul 24, 2009
London
:lol: a carbon wraped c0ck, nice touch! Looks awesome mate, you still daring enough to do your roof?

I think that would be fairly easy to be honest, to use the same vinyl it would cost an arm and a leg though......

I havent ordered enough for the roof yet but might tackle it over Christmas, I'll measure it up tomorrow and price it up for using the 3M film. Would be ok if you had 2 people I think.

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
The 3M Di-noc is on ebay now from £15 for a 50cm x 30cm sheet.

Is a hair dryer sufficient to heat the stuff? Not that I own a hair dryer of course[B)]

GunnerCP

Jul 24, 2009
London
The 3M Di-noc is on ebay now from £15 for a 50cm x 30cm sheet.

Is a hair dryer sufficient to heat the stuff? Not that I own a hair dryer of course[B)]

yea it is mate, a hairdryer is fine.

I heated up what I was applying it to and the vinyl before applying it, it's easier as you can stretch it avound straight away.

You'll soon get the hang of it, oh and that price isn't fantastic if you have to pay extra for delivery.

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
Looks cool mate i had a go at doing my mirrors the other day and it just came out creased to buggery, any good tips? haha.

Also is it my dirty mind that has noticed the layout in your photos:p

GunnerCP

Jul 24, 2009
London
Looks cool mate i had a go at doing my mirrors the other day and it just came out creased to buggery, any good tips? haha.

Also is it my dirty mind that has noticed the layout in your photos:p

what i did is heat it all up before i start then lay the film on a flat surface and lower the mirror onto the film, I then wrapped one of the edges first, only concentrate on one area at a time or you'll never get rid of the creases, forget what the other sides look like... then I got and creases out by heating and using one of the hard plastic spreader tools that i ordered with it, if that didnt get rid of the crease then I heated, lifted the vinyl again then slightly spread the vinyl (as little as poss. until the crease went) pulling the crease out.... eventually the bulk of the mirror would be crease free barring the edges, for the edges I just heated it a load and lifted the vinyl and spread it some more, eventually the creases go. After than went around the edges with the spreader to get a nice finish on the lip.

It's a little hard to explain I guess but play around with it, if you mess up heat it up and take it off and try again.

It does take time but I really dont think you can go wrong with this film...!

I'm going to do some more soon hopefully....

I think it's very addictive!

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
Ive just got a massive roll of gloss black stuff, i know what you mean about addictive though. Ive already done my door strips, plan to do my centre console then the mirrors

dubnut71

Oct 9, 2007
I've used the di-noc and its available in the Uk direct from 3m's network of suppliers such as William Smiths. We took a 25M roll off them earlier this year at 1500mm wide and used it for roof's and body wrapping until we sourced an alternative which was just as good but much more cost effective.

Recently did a Mk4 golf interior with it and it worked out great :
4165873577_c08018bf7b.jpg

4166632590_a2e0859827.jpg

4165875313_4fe24c169a.jpg

:)

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
the weave on the mirrors need to be goin in different directions to folllow the lines of the car, looks good tho, ill be making some real carbon wing mirrors soon

GunnerCP

Jul 24, 2009
London
the weave on the mirrors need to be goin in different directions to folllow the lines of the car, looks good tho, ill be making some real carbon wing mirrors soon

yea, that was an after thought.... I'll do the first one again as that was the first piece i'd done and imo doesn't look so good.

Plus, I snapped one of the tabs on the back of the mirror!

Actually, would it not look odd if I had the bumper trim, bonnet trim, roof, rear bumper trim and a mirror one way then the weave of another mirror going the other way......?

I dunno, i'll do it anyway and see, i've got left overs....

Last edited:

Williams_27

nice work mate, do you have a link to the site you bought it from? i want to attempt my roof but can only find people in america who sell it.

GunnerCP

Jul 24, 2009
London
nice work mate, do you have a link to the site you bought it from? i want to attempt my roof but can only find people in america who sell it.

I bought mine from Germany, http://www.foliencenter24.com/

if you look through their site you'll see some odd prices so take a look and take advantage.

I decided against having this on the roof and the rest of the car now, it's only on the interior parts and wing mirrors. The rest is going to be done in 3M Scotchcal 85 Series from www.williamsmith.co.uk

could always contact them to see if they stock it, they are an official 3M distributor but dont think they have the Di-Noc series on their site?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.