1. Hi Guest. We've recently updated our forum rules. Please take some time to review them. You can read the new rules here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

4cyl VAG engines

Discussion in 'Normally Aspirated Forum' started by R French, Jan 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. R French

R French Full Member

Hi Folks,

I'm running an ABF in my Ibiza at the moment but it really lacks torque. Is there anyting better as standard out there, must have no more than 4 cylinders??

If not what is the max rebored capacity of an ABF as cam swaps and head work only look to increase the RPM & BHP but not necessarily the torque to my liking?

Cheers, Rich

2. Fl@pper

Fl@pper Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope

a change of gearing/ratios is possibly the best way to get the most out of an ABF

3. R French

R French Full Member

Thanks, had the same idea - I've got a 4.46 FD in the housing but not altered any of the std ratios. Car just aint got no tug - 5 competative years could be something to do with that though!

If I can't find a bigger lump to drop in then I'm working along the lines of inlet cam swap only to boost torque, 268 is about the max duration I'd want to go to with Digifant.

Problem is I should really run with the standard Plenum and throttle body which stifles things.

4. Fl@pper

there's a few that have tuned the ABF but be warned it's not cheap or easy sadly

5. ibizacupra

ibizacupra Jack-RIP my little Friend
    Forum Sponsor

hike in compression will yield you torque and flexibility on cam choice for more power/torque
    think 12.5-13.5:1 type levels (with management system to accomodate this)

6. Fl@pper

just a wild shoot across the snowy plains bill, the old audi a4 touring cars were big power 2.0 16v ? were they 4cyl and based on anything remotely road used ?

7. jenk

8. Fl@pper

ooh goodie - off to hide in the office :p

9. R French

R French Full Member

Thanks to you all for your ideas so far!
    Looks like these were serious bits of kit!
    I have completely forgotten about the AUDI touring cars! I know a chap who should be able to identify most of the pulley parts and covers, but he worked from them very late on - around the time of their withdrawal from the BTCC.
    I had a sniff round Barbara Armstrong's old almost kit car at Milton Keynes the other day and the engine is a serious bit of kit but unfortunately I think they might object to me stripping it down to work out what's in it. Most of the know how departed with SBG and NorthernSouth as I've been following up as many leads as possible over the last year or so.

So - I'm looking to develop a bomb proof bottom end with as large a bore and as high a compression ratio as sensible. With the biggest available final drive for the car it's going to have to rev well past 8k but keeping the limiter around the 8K mark for longevity. I guess the cam duration will take care of this.

Can anyone recommend a source of parts? Crank, bearings, rods and pistons so I can get started?

10. ibizacupra

ibizacupra Jack-RIP my little Friend
    Forum Sponsor

worth speaking with robt considering his spec ibiza

11. WeeJase

WeeJase pert

just supposing one of those AUDI lumps was available.would it need much modification to swap to transverse?

12. RobT

RobT Full throttle trip

those audi lumps were very special engines, with very special prices, and very short rebuild times.

You can make an ABF into a full 2.2L - a 95mm diesel crank mated to a 83.5 or even 84mm piston will give you 2106cc. But 100mm cranks are available = 2216cc but these will be expensive I guess (Eurospec sport in the US used to do them).

A 2.1 or 2.2L motor with 11.0 or 11.5:1 CR would be a torque monster - stick some 268 or 276 cams in and you will have a cracker.

13. R French

R French Full Member

Cheers for the info guys - I'm going to have to start gathering bits soon as I need to find about 5-10 seconds per section on events. I know if I lost about 4 stone this would give most of it but that's not the point is it? Most of it is down to the gearing and my inability to drive without revving the knackers off it so Torque is the way forward for me.
    For now - I'm going to increase the compression of what I have now with some head work as Bill suggested and put a single 268 exhaust cam in with standard inlet. This looks to be the cheapest option and buys me some time to plan and build a good motor rather than a "I've built this in 5mins motor cos the next event is only 2 weeks away". Will keep you posted on this one.

14. R French

R French Full Member

95mm crank found last night and on the way to work today!!!!
    Full ABF lump (still in golf3) with 72K miles now in yard.

I costed the single cam and head work method and it takes too big a chunk out the engine/rally fund..... so above post now totally void especially since
    I asked and a friend offered me his old Golf that had been waiting for some TLC for about 3 years. Put a battery on and some new fuel, poured WD40 down the plug holes and soaked overnight. Started on the second change of battery last night. Neighbours weren't too impressed with all the cack pluthering across the road. Usual TB cleanliness related problems but it holds water and a comp test shows nothing nasty. Fog cleared and it all works ok - gear box shot (synchro's), hydraulic lifters very noisy.
    Time to take it all to bits!!!! At this rate I might get it done for next summer (I've given up on winter rebuilds as got fed up with loosing the feeling in my hands and feet working over Chrsitmas hols).

Will post more when it starts going back together.........MORE ####ing WORK!!! Blame it all on Autosport show for popping ideas in my head.

15. R French

R French Full Member

Update -
    Thousands of bits all on my work bench / hiding behind sofa / in under stairs cupboard arrrgh.
    About to send the block off for some work with the crank so next choices are pistons and rods???

I've dropped on an old S2 20vT block top end which No2 piston blew to bits rendering it scrap. However 4 pistons and rods look good and about right - my worry is the rod length and piston height will drop short and reduce the cc by about 50ish cc per pot.

Anyone tried this or are they only good for forced induction motors?