500 mile review

Woksin

Dec 13, 2017
Leicestershire
Was the Polo you spec'd the GTi, as when I was looking the GTi was under £20k after the dealers discount, which given its 2.0 4 cylinder engine made it IMO an excellent value car whatever extra you added. As for which one looks best well, who knows, the Polo GTi is the only Polo I'd go for, just like the FR Ibiza, if however we could get emotion red. Shame the doors don't close on the new Polo like they did on the old one through..

But then you’re driving an ugly polo

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014

...which the owner could be seriously happy about at trade in time.

If paying somewhere near MSRP I would worry about SEAT residuals a lot - As it is, I got a total of 17k discount off the last 3 I bought, so whatever! :D

misiakupatego

Mar 5, 2017

But better interior & quality ;-)

cC1h9NI.jpg

But I agree that Polo is for comfort & normal drive, Ibiza for fun (I had new Ibiza for 3000KM as replacement car and FR 1.5 TSI for test drive (60KM))

I have new Polo Beats as 2nd car and here is better interior quality, better LED lights, less creaking from inside and higher comfort on bumpy roads

Last edited:

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
I just find VW cars to look very boring. Not exciting, even when I see people in their golf Gti, just looks pants in my opinion ��

I think it's 'understated elegance/mature solidity/good quality'' is the impression VW is trying to portray - though you could argue about how successful they are at it.
As it goes, I agree that VW's are mostly too dull, (both to look at and more importantly to drive) - and I speak as a 'matured' driver rapidly approaching 50.

However, I'm sure they would be happy enough to point you in the direction of SEAT as you prefer their supposed more youthful/sporty/dynamic image.
Either way they will be making money from a customer of a VAG product.

Woksin

Dec 13, 2017
Leicestershire
My car just ticked over 1,000 miles today. I found another problem. Is anyone else finding that when they use the handbrake the plastics scratch against each other? Mine are doing it and already had grinded away a bit of plastic.

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
... and I see rear electric windows. Oh how jealous UK SEAT owners will be :lol:

You can get rear electric windows on the Skoda Fabia... :rofl:

The problem with the VW for me is that it’s not a particularly good looking car, and not cheap enough when compared to the Audi A1 to make it worth bothering with. The £26kish list price of the equivalent spec Polo to our Seat Ibiza (£21k ish list, £16k ish transaction price) is less than a grand cheaper than an A1 to a similar spec, and the A1 is a far nicer looking car with a less fuddy duddy image (in the UK at least). At the moment, after discount, the A1 is cheaper than a Polo, though it’ll be interesting to see if the pricing of the new A1 will change that dynamic. Likewise, for me, the Skoda is not cheap enough when compared to the SEAT!

Last edited:

misiakupatego

Mar 5, 2017
In my country A1 (without Active Info Display and smaller multimedia screen) is 40% more expensive than Polo in similar spec (1.0 TSI 95KM, manual gearbox, heated seats, climatronic...) :)

Last edited:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I know this is continuing the fanboy thread drift, but I just don't find the A1 exterior works at all. The Audi (and actually ex-Rover) family face looks out of place to me on such a small, and otherwise humdrum looking, hatchback. If you couldn't see that massive grille, it could be a Toyota, Kia, anything at all.
Audi sensibly got out of the supermini market to concentrate on larger cars way back in 1978, leaving their hatch (the Audi 50) to VW to sell as the Polo. Not saying that Audi shouldn't sell tiny cars - I just think their styling doesn't work well when scaled down that far.

Peter

Jan 5, 2018
West Sussex
In my country A1 (without Active Info Display and smaller multimedia screen) is 40% more expensive than Polo in similar spec (1.0 TSI 95KM, manual gearbox, heated seats, climatronic...) :)

A 1.0 TSI DSG A1 and Polo are very similar prices in the UK when fitted with LED lights, panoramic roof, climate control etc etc at, around £26k before discount. As are the Skoda and the SEAT, only they’re around £21k before discount. At the moment though, the A1 has a 125PS version of the engine compared to 115PS for the others.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
I’ve only done 50 miles in mine so far. The only issues I’ve to date are that the media system froze with the parking sensor display on. Had to hold down the power button to reset it. Second issue is that the brakes squeak when braking at slow speeds. Hopefully this will go after I’ve put more miles on it.

Woksin

Dec 13, 2017
Leicestershire
I’ve only done 50 miles in mine so far. The only issues I’ve to date are that the media system froze with the parking sensor display on. Had to hold down the power button to reset it. Second issue is that the brakes squeak when braking at slow speeds. Hopefully this will go after I’ve put more miles on it.

My brakes sqeak still too.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
The problem with the VW for me is that it’s not a particularly good looking car, and not cheap enough when compared to the Audi A1 to make it worth bothering with. The £26kish list price of the equivalent spec Polo to our Seat Ibiza (£21k ish list, £16k ish transaction price) is less than a grand cheaper than an A1 to a similar spec, and the A1 is a far nicer looking car with a less fuddy duddy image (in the UK at least). At the moment, after discount, the A1 is cheaper than a Polo, though it’ll be interesting to see if the pricing of the new A1 will change that dynamic. Likewise, for me, the Skoda is not cheap enough when compared to the SEAT!

As for the A1, which to me is a Marmite looking car, you can't fit a spare wheel in the boot as the battery is in the spare wheel well of a 5-door, so for me I'd never consider one as I'd end up with a car with no boot spare..

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.