1. Hi Guest. Booking is now open for our national meet on Sunday 14th July - all SEATs and CUPRAs welcome - we'd love to see you there. - Find out more here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are now available from our online store.

500hp engine parts list

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1' started by Leon20vt4, May 16, 2019 at 8:34 AM.

1. Leon20vt4

Leon20vt4 Full Member

So on top of me repairing and tuning up the Leon 4x4 to stage 2 I am also building a 500hp engine setup on the side... oh my wallet

Hey guys just wanted to get my parts list checked off as im starting to buy things for this build and get a few questions answered. The car is a Seat leon 4x4 ( exactly the same as a golf mk4 4motion or an audi a3 8L 1.8t quattro, or if it exists a TT 180 quattro ) my poor friends in the USA never got the leon or the early a3. The goal is to have a fast little street car and going to some track days over here in Germany.

So here goes, any opinions and ideas would be appreciated. [​IMG]

AGU largeport longblock 60,000 miles (150hp a3)

Wideband sensor (if i dont have one already, havent looked)

Ignitron ECU, or Maestro Tuning Suite (Ignitron is plug and play direct replacement of the ME7.5) (7500 rev limit) (unless valve springs then 8000)

VVT Chain and tensioner/4 window sensor *****(Can i wire this in directly to the ecu pinout? or do i have to get the entire engine loom and ecu from a car with VVT?)*****

forged H-beam rods and ARP rod bolts (unfortunately not rifle drilled) (is it worth going rifled?)

Stock AGU pistons

Supertech stainless exhaust valves

valve seats all 20

Valve springs? (not entirely necessary?)

ARP head bolts

T3 top mount spaghetti manifold

Holset HX30 6cm, HX32 8cm (rare turbo), HY35 10cm, or HX35 10cm twin scroll (rare turbo)

3" downpipe with 3" 200cell cat at midsection (far from turbo) to 2.75" piping the rest of the way back

Phenolic Spacer

FMIC custom setup

GATES OR OEM TIMING BELT??? HELP???

Metal finned water pump

E85 (255lph pump, 1000cc injectors, BKR8IEX NGK spark plugs, extra fuel fulters)

Upgraded Single mass flywheel and clutch

Custom TIP and Filter 80-90mm (RS4 maf?)

Oil feed lines for turbo

Oil Catch can

Upgraded Diverter Valve

Let me know what you guys think, anything i NEED to add or im missing just hollar, if you think im dumb also hollar its no problem.

Connorg115 likes this.
  2. Connorg115

Connorg115 Full Member

For you questions about rifle drilled rods, have you spoken to bill at badger5 about them? Im sure I've seen numerous posts about how they affect the longevity of the engine (in a good way)

If you're going to go big, might as well do it right! :drive2:

3. mty12345

mty12345 Senior Member

I agree with connor about the rifle drilling, also i would definitely fit uprated valve springs

4. Leon20vt4

Leon20vt4 Full Member

Uprated valve springs for the sake of higher rpm limit? Or do you think it's necessary for higher hp? I know for sure the exhaust valves stock are shite.

If so which would you recommend?

5. Leon20vt4

Leon20vt4 Full Member

I'll definitely look into the rifle drilling. I think I wanted X beam or I beam rods anyways.

6. mty12345

mty12345 Senior Member

I'm far from an expert on it, so you'd need to speak to someone like bill really, but yeah, imo for raising the rev limit. If you're aiming for 500+bhp then i think you're going to need every extra RPM you can get, both for the overall figures and to take advantage of the huge turbo and the new ECU etc.

Edit: IMO you're definitely going to need uprated pistons at that sort of power.

#6 mty12345, May 16, 2019 at 9:28 PM
    Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 9:37 PM
  7. Leon20vt4

Leon20vt4 Full Member

Yeah I'm thinking of valve springs for sure, I was trying to keep the revs down so i wouldn't have to. But I think it's inevitable, I know I am gonna want to rev that motor especially on the track. Ofcourse the turbo will breathe up top but the idea is having a setup where it also flows well down low. Hence the smaller exhaust housings on those holset turbos.

As for the pistons that is a very mixed topic, many guys in the US are running stock pistons reliably till 600hp. All about the tuning. I wont upgrade them as of yet.

8. Leon20vt4

Leon20vt4 Full Member

Crazy how many people say to talk to Bill... I feel bad calling or emailing him with my lame questions. He's a busy man I'm sure