6th Gear

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
Anyone had issues with 6th on the manual...couple of times I’ve put it in gear but it’s not actually gone in resulting in a bit of a grind :joystick:

There doesn’t always feel like a solid gear engagement like in the other gears...like it’s in but you don’t get the ‘click’ in the gear stick to acknowledge the engagement.

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
I get it in reverse but I think thats just me not pressing down enough whilst slipping it into reverse, sometimes it just flings out so I end up stalling it.

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I sometimes get the issue with first or second and just have to souble clutch. Usually only an issue when stationary or very low speeds.

Double clutch: Press clutch pedal, take the car out of gear and into neutral, release the clutch pedal, press the clutch pedal and put the car in to your desired gear.

Same thing happened in my Polo before

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I sometimes get the issue with first or second and just have to souble clutch. Usually only an issue when stationary or very low speeds.

Double clutch: Press clutch pedal, take the car out of gear and into neutral, release the clutch pedal, press the clutch pedal and put the car in to your desired gear.

Maybe clutch release bearing is buggered

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
Possibly worn synchromesh on 6th gear, strange gear for issues to occur though
Yeah possibly, had crossed my mind...it seems ok going 5th to 6th but skip a gear when cruising say 4th to 6th and it just doesn’t seem to ‘clunk’ into gear as you would expect...caught me out a couple of times but nothing major.

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
How old is the car and what's the history? Odd gear to have a problem with, it's usually the lower gears.
Just over a year old (so we’ll within warranty but not a big enough issue to waste my time at the dealers at this stage) one previous owner (dealer) low mileage. I’ll get them to check it on service later is year but just wondered if anyone else had similar issue or maybe it’s just my driving style...had it in 2nd gear on a previous mondeo always popping out but this is just getting it into gear...once in it’s fine but is ok going 5th to 6th and most of the time from other gears it’s just occasionally...will monitor it for now.

thanks guys.

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020

Cheers for that...I’m aware of DCing but hadn’t tried it in this instance to be honest...I’ll give it a go next time I’m out see if that makes a difference...it is only occasionally at the mo so not a big issue...might just be cable adjustment but will get it checked later in year at service.

Thanks.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Nope...I’ll be honest I don’t know how to do that...I’m guessing there is an adjusted under the gaiter somewhere and you have to be in a certain gear to adjust?
I wouldn't be adjusting myself on a year old car.
But to adjust you have to lock the adjuster at gearbox end and lock at gear shift, its not a hard job to do and many video's on ebay.

I would get it to the dealer now as its an issue that isn't going to get any better, had this on my mk5 golf 1.4 tsi, 2nd gear synchro went so got that under warranty then about 2 years later 5th gear syncho went, like yourself was only now and again but by the end you could no longer get it into 5th so had to skip 5th entirely, wasn't the end of the world but not ideal

Reactions: GeoffGeoff

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
Cheers guys,

I’ll probably leave it alone and run it a few months see if its just me or if it gets worse...it’s done it twice in the 3 weeks I’ve had it so will see if it gets better or (more likely) worse and get it checked at the service unless it warrants an extra visit in the meantime.

Thanks for all the speedy replies!