a guide to tinting lights with tint spray

thought other people may find this useful, it's the process i used to tint the rear/front light and side repeaters

LEGAL this is not an official guide and you should check out the legalitys of this for yourself, what i am aware of is that you should have a non tinted reflector (so mask them or put new ones on) and any more than a light tint, ie if you start to impare the amount of light emitted, you may end up in trouble, i dont think you are supposed to do the fronts lights, and i dont know how any of the tints may affect your insurance.

if you still want to go ahead -

1 - thoroughly clean lights with alchohol wipes or similar to get rid of any grease or grime and allow to dry.

2 - carefully mask all around the area of where your tinting, mask a lot to alllow for any gusts of wind that may carry the spray onto your paintwork (easy to remove if it happens)

i did this by using sheets of paper around the lights, i left a one inch gap between the edge of the paper and the lights so that i could mask perfectly around the lights using the tape, spend a bit of time on this and make sure the tape is tucked behind the lights, there should be no exposed paintwork/body and the tape shouldn't be touching the lights anywhere you are tinting (didn't photo this but the see the peeling off pic for an idea of what i mean)

should look something like this (the small bit of top bumper on show at the rear ended up with a little tint on it, so masking a large area really is crucial, (or removing the lights from the car lol!)

DSC02330.jpg

DSC02335.jpg

3 - you can now apply the spray, you need to use light coats and allow 10-15 minutes inbetween coats for it to dry a little, (if you put on too much too quickly it will run)

hold the can between 15-25 cm away and use long strokes of spray, you should run on/off as well by this i mean start spraying on the paper to the left of the light, continue spraying as you swing your arm slowly to the right, and dont release the spray top untill you are on the paper to the right of the light. the reason for this is as you start/stop the spray you get little droplets, so always start/stop on the paper.

DSC02337.jpg

DSC02338-1.jpg

continue untill you have the desired darkness, i went quite dark on mine (8 coats rear 2 front) but there is still plenty of light showing through, i asked the guy that does my MOT's if there would be a problem and then had to explain what i had done as he couldn't tell they weren't standard!

4 - after the last coat allow about 1 hour for the tint to go completely touch dry, then remove all the paper/masking tape from the car.

i left the tape aropund the lights till last and really carefully peeled it off in one big strip/circle, this was because )a - i didnt want to mark the still soft tint and )b - means i was able to get all the masking tape without having to pick little bits out from under the edges of the lights

DSC02336.jpg

5 - dont touch the lights for 24 hours, you can drive and rain etc is ok i just mean dont wash them

6 - once the 24 hours have passed give the lights a good polish with T-cut then wax em, and admire!

this is mine PRE polish so they are a bit shinier now, although youd prob not see the difference in these low res pics anyway

DSC02346.jpg

DSC02347.jpg

DSC02348.jpg

DSC02349.jpg

DSC02351-1.jpg

note the new debadge and fabia wiper!

IF you decide you don't like your tints/mess up and want to start over, then worry not! it comes off super easy with some nailpaint remover on a cloth, literally just wipes off.

if you get it how you like and decide you are defo keeping them tinted you can laquer the lights for a deeper shine, but this will make it much harder to remove the tint when selling/getting told off by the fuzz (hasnt happened to me yet)

you can also try different ways of doing the masking for cool effects, there is a guy on here (can't remember name) with a platinum leon that masked different bits of the rear lights before spraying, and it looks wicked, im thinking of redoing my rears with the clear bit left clear to see how that looks.

if anyone does any of this maybe you could post the pics here?

hope people find this useful

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
I'd also recommend a coat of clear lacquer once the tinting coats have dried - helps with the shine and also makes them a bit harder wearing.

I'd do this especially if you only tint part of the light like I did on the Arosa - make the final lacquer coats cover the whole light unit and it will seal the edges of the tint coat to the lens :)

garry01

May 12, 2009
kent
have tinted plenty of lights in the past for customers where i work, and found a bit of black paint drop't in to lacquer is by far the best way, gives a perfect shine and the more coats you applied the darker they get, no polishing needed once dry. good job tho :thumbup:

redid my tints, the process was exactelly the same, except i removed the lights this time :lol:

anyone interested in doing it this way -

remove the plastic caps on the inside of the boot then remove the bulb holder (squeeze the 2 plastic clips on each side and gently pull)

DSC02365.jpg

there are 3 bolts in each light unit, remove with an 8 mil socket/spanner (be careful not to drop them as they are teenie and will be a nightmare to recover)

DSC02367.jpg

here is a pic showing the location of the nuts, forgot to take one of the lights on the boot but you will see them

DSC02369.jpg

remove all the old tint (if you have any) with nail polish remover, then give the lights a good clean with the same or alcohol wipe or similar, then mask and spray as per the guide at the start.

i just masked off the clear bit and carefully cut around to get a perfect line, there is a slight groove in the light which your blade will follow so its nice and easy to get this perfect

DSC02375.jpg

also if anyone is curious -

i took the tint off differently on each light to get an idea of how it would look, on the right is with the clear bit clear and the red tinted, the left is the opposite

DSC02360.jpg

it was an easy choice for me on the red car, but lefty might suit other colours (bearing in mind that it would be neater than pic, its just to give an idea)

Last edited:
have tinted plenty of lights in the past for customers where i work, and found a bit of black paint drop't in to lacquer is by far the best way, gives a perfect shine and the more coats you applied the darker they get, no polishing needed once dry. good job tho :thumbup:

have heard of something which may be similar, i think if you mix a little of the same paint that is on your car with clear laquer you can get a really smooth effect? not one i would try myself (call a pro) but im sure i read it in a car mag years ago

yeah how come you just didnt remove the lights ha ha?

:lol: i did the second time! but tbh i actually found it to be more hassle than just masking on the car, took longer, you cant see the tints at the right angles etc as you apply, and because i sprayed them on the ground they picked up little bits of crap.

so after trying both doing it in situ and off id actually say on the car is better

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise