A Little Help From the Forum: College Project Questionnaire.

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
Tried to cram as much info into the thread title as possible. :rofl:

Dear SCNers.

I have been quiet, I know, money (or lack thereof) dictates living and eating take priority over doing stuff to the car. However, I've been given an opportunity I couldn't pass up:

As part of the college course I'm currently enrolled on, I 'have to' build a project, and perform all the associated stuff to go with it; including presentations, a logbook, market research, and (hopefully) building my designs.

It is the market research I'm dealing with here. As a car forum, I felt it best to come to you first, as you're most likely to understand my aims with this project.

My idea(s) are as follows:

(1) A hydraulic-actuated air dam kit (think Bugatti Veyron/ Mclaren MP4-12C), supplying all the mechanical and electronic devices, including a pre-programmed PIC-logic arrangement, that you would need to retrofit your very own lifting rear spoiler. Admittedly, the advantages of this kit would generally only be seen on speeds in excess of the national speed limit, but having the option to install it on your 1.0 Arosa is my aim, not getting into a discussion over the 'usefulness' of such a kit.

(2) Maybe the more popular kit option would be a 'TT-esque' extending spoiler kit. This kit would include, again, all the logic and mechanical devices to be fitted into the customer's either stock, or custom spoiler.

The two kits would be supplied as an addition to whatever spoiler you as the customer wish to have, meaning that the customer could 'dissect' their stock spoiler/wing arrangement and retrofit either kit inside it, or, if they have an aftermarket solution, it could be attached to this also.

The only real problem I'm running into (other than hydraulic drive for the air dam. Any suggestions welcome!) is the risk of supplying an 'unfinished' kit to the public, who may have in mind that they are buying a complete spoiler, when in fact, they are only buying the drive for their existing setup.

Thank you for reading anyway, the form is here for completion.

No personal details will be taken, and all information will be treated with the strictest confidentiality, only being released as part of the research for my project, and that will only be seen by the relevant education authorities.

Thank you for your time.

maddox

Aug 25, 2011
Glasgow
This is a modification I've never actually considered on a 'normal'ish car! questionaire completed and I look forward to seeing it on the market, and the head scratching that will come with trying to fit such a device :p

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
topic bump. really need the market research for this guys. even if you couldnt care less about having active spoilers, i need to know for the project.

neil_1821

Jan 9, 2011
Filled it out for you

Interesting idea, I feel sorry for you having to design it though :p

not an easy task, be nice if you post your results!

Alixsixxx

done it dude, sounds good if you can show it would make a substantial difference to braking efficiency with stock spoilers (especially LCRs ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
done it dude, sounds good if you can show it would make a substantial difference to braking efficiency with stock spoilers (especially LCRs ;) )

Thank Alixsi. If common sense and my limited knowledge of aerodynamics has any bearing to the truth, then a plane the size of an LCR (or indeed an IC) spoiler set at 80 degrees+ would in the very least settle the rear of the car under heavy braking, and quite possibly aid deceleration in the process. TBH, the balancing effect would be more prevalent on the LCR's than any other car because the spoiler is so far forward on the roof.... It'd be interesting to see how much difference it makes in practice though. I have a few lines of enquiry going through atm as to converting an electronic signal to a hydraulic pulse, so may well have some interesting information soon.

Alixsixxx

yeah i wouldnt try and implement this type of design on a suzuki swift... not for the fact the car cant get up to 100 but the fact itll wheelie everytime you brake 0.o

looking forward to see some designs :D

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
The hydraulic mechanism would need to be sort of self contained i.ei puh off the existing mounts. I couldn't see anybody wanting modifications done to their car to make it operate like a veyron mechanism, the rams appear to come from deeper down in the shell. What about a stepper motor design where the motor is encased in a neat encloser and you dial in a program that can read speed, throttle postion and the plc tells the motors what angle to turn to, one obivoius turning in the opposite direction to the other. You might need to put an idler gear in to cope with the extra wind resistance load at higher speeds. Questionaire completed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 103408

Filled in another one, just as an aside on the Mk3 Leon (and i am guessing all MQB Platform cars) there is some mention of the audi TT wing so I am sure you could run a connection off that to make it work using the cars systems.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members