A question about air filter box /pipe

The Swed

Aug 24, 2017
Sweden
I wonder what this 3 small pipes are for,, what do they do or can you skip those?
s-l64.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I wonder what this 3 small pipes are for,, what do they do or can you skip those?
s-l64.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
Can't claim to have the knowledge off of my own back on this, but as it happened Mark at VAGManchester explained the resonator on the exhaust and used a picture like this as an example of what manufacturers do to reduce resonance of unwanted exhaust noise at different frequencies.

So in short its to dampen intake noise. The reason there are 3 different sizes, each one will be sized to reduce a certain frequency of noise.

Reactions: LouG

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Can't claim to have the knowledge off of my own back on this, but as it happened Mark at VAGManchester explained the resonator on the exhaust and used a picture like this as an example of what manufacturers do to reduce resonance of unwanted exhaust noise at different frequencies.

So in short its to dampen intake noise. The reason there are 3 different sizes, each one will be sized to reduce a certain frequency of noise.
They're called Heimholtz resonators, used in all sorts of applications to reduce various noises. They are also sometimes used to reduce intake turbulence.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.