a6 tdi filled up with petrol

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
Hi, my dad filled his tank up with petrol on sat afternoon. its all drained and refilled with diesel, cars runnning fine again- took it to get diesel last night after we got it runnign again. Just a few questions im hoping someone can help me with?
1. apparently theres some addative which is reccommended to mix with your first tank of diesel after filling the car with petrol- does anyone know what this is, and im assuming helfords or somewhere like this will have it?
2. the traction control/esp light flashes at low speeds now, but dissapears after you reach around 15mph. is it possible we disturbed a sensor or something? we drained the tank from the hoses going into the diesel filter to begin with, then when we got it under half full we went in through the pannel under the rear seats- the lights never flashed before so im gussing its something we did accidently?
any help really appreciated,
thanks

Darron1823

Oct 27, 2009
Edinburgh
m.facebook.com
Hi, my dad filled his tank up with petrol on sat afternoon. its all drained and refilled with diesel, cars runnning fine again- took it to get diesel last night after we got it runnign again. Just a few questions im hoping someone can help me with?
1. apparently theres some addative which is reccommended to mix with your first tank of diesel after filling the car with petrol- does anyone know what this is, and im assuming helfords or somewhere like this will have it?
2. the traction control/esp light flashes at low speeds now, but dissapears after you reach around 15mph. is it possible we disturbed a sensor or something? we drained the tank from the hoses going into the diesel filter to begin with, then when we got it under half full we went in through the pannel under the rear seats- the lights never flashed before so im gussing its something we did accidently?
any help really appreciated,
thanks

Hey mate I wouldnt worry I done this :whistle:, too tired and only a few fill ups in to it I managed to put V-Power Petrol in instead of V-Power Diesel. I drove mine for about 7 miles with the mix then drained the tank and filled the tank full of V-Power Diesel and its ran fine since. :redface:

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
hey, thanks Darren. yeah it seems to be running well, just for peace of mind sake really to get an additive and see why the lights comming on, its probably nothin, spoke to 2 garages ive used in the past who said they just drain it and only change the filter if it was driven long enough- he only drove abbout 1 mile from the garage to the house and realised hed used petrol when he was in the house again so it shouldnt have done any harm

Darron1823

Oct 27, 2009
Edinburgh
m.facebook.com
hey, thanks Darren. yeah it seems to be running well, just for peace of mind sake really to get an additive and see why the lights comming on, its probably nothin, spoke to 2 garages ive used in the past who said they just drain it and only change the filter if it was driven long enough- he only drove abbout 1 mile from the garage to the house and realised hed used petrol when he was in the house again so it shouldnt have done any harm

I didnt even change the filter mate spoke with about 5 mechanics and said not to worry. If you use V-Power Diesel you wont need additives mate. Its got cleaner in it so save the pennies :) I just banged in a full tank and took it easy for the 1st 100-150 miles to let the Diesel lubricate everything again :)

Mar 25, 2009
bath
did you start it at all? if you havent then you should be fine,

i put £8's worth of petrol in my golf tdi 130. paniked and drove it home, brimmed it with diesel and its was fine

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
yeah drove it home from the petrol station then to the petrol station and back home last night to put some diesel in. got the additive there from a mechanic i use for my own car. hes also replacin the fuel filter and clearin the fault codes for the esp on tues am so its all sorted. thanks for the comments everyone

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I do remember some story from a friend of a friend of a friend, that a small amount of petrol in a diesel car actually does it good...

I doubt I'll ever be willing to test the theory though!! :)

Mar 25, 2009
bath
they put a bit of petrol in the tanks in cold countries to stop it freezing, unfortunately a full tank of petrol started could cause serious issues as the petrol would strip all the lubricants from within the engine,

if it was a little then your OK, my step-dad brimmed his 330d with petrol and ran it, he had to fork out 6k for a new engine from BMW, so a little should be ok, a lot IE just petrol no diesel, i would expect consequences

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
its all sorted now thankfully, petrol all drained out, tank filled wiith diesel. taking it over to a local mechanic in the morning to have the diesel filter replaced just for peace of mind, though i doubt its essential. getting a fault code cleared for the esp at the same time, and already used one of the fuel additives to help flush the system out and re-lubricate everything. going to work out around £60 all in for the filter and the additive so a cheap fix really, could have been much much worse. and he also kept the petrol he pumped out of the car in a few jerrycans so he can use it for his motor bikes. not bad at all

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
lol, your probably not as tight as he is then, he wouldnt throw away £70 of petrol after its been in a diesel tank. cant see it being good for any petrol engine and i certainly wouldnt put it in mine but theres no tellin some people