Aaaargh got a rattle behind the dash

Cornish Pixie

Loving Dirty Derv Power
Apr 29, 2011
North Wiltshire
As above really, the FR has developed a small rattle which sounds like it is coming from behind the dash when the car goes over a sharp bump or road imperfection. The rattle is really quite small but very annoying if the stereo isn't on, was just wondering if anybody else has had this and found the source before I start poking around to find it?

Thanks in advance

Pixie

cupra-ads

Dec 16, 2010
Colchester, Essex
i had a similar thing - was like a metallicy rattle from like centre of dash - turned out to be 'centre steady bar to bulkhead' - thats what my friend whos a technician said - very nearly took whole dash out haha

Cornish Pixie

Loving Dirty Derv Power
Apr 29, 2011
North Wiltshire
i had a similar thing - was like a metallicy rattle from like centre of dash - turned out to be 'centre steady bar to bulkhead' - thats what my friend whos a technician said - very nearly took whole dash out haha

Cheers, that sounds like the type of noise I have got, was it fust a case of tightening it up or did it need a trip to the stealers?

Elliot29

Apr 25, 2010
have you got a metal tax disc holder? the ones that are in two parts that twist?

Cornish Pixie

Loving Dirty Derv Power
Apr 29, 2011
North Wiltshire
have you got a metal tax disc holder? the ones that are in two parts that twist?

Nope still got the stealer one in it, the noise seems to come from within the dash in front of the driver. Its only a small noise and it is only when the road surface is particularly poor, but I do find it very annoying :cry:

ferrariwa

Was this resolved? Did it turn out to be the centre steady bar to bullkhead?

I have a seat leon fr which is experiencing the same issue, same location. SEAT dealership thought it was the fuel pump, adjusted then told me it was resolved - but didnt work and I still have the noise.

thanks.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
I had something similar when I first got the car, the bracket holding the bulkhead was wonky.
Get it fixed, I left mine for ages and it only got worse and more annoying

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

May 6, 2011
stoke on trent
had the same problem as you mate lifted my bonnet and theres a black tube that runs along top behind your dash i had a clip come lose holding the hose, and it vibrated up my dash wen driving along, fixed it by buying a new clip and rattle has gone :) it might be that took me ages work it out because i wasnt looking for obvious things lol

ShiftySid

Jul 27, 2010
Mine's the same. Full of rattles and cheap tacky plastics - never worth the £16k I paid for it - wish I'd bought a 3 year old BMW 320d. More comfortable, more toys, far superior build quality, as economical to run, much more kudos. In fact, superior in every way except it would be out of warranty and shade slower 0-60. Won't be buying another SEAT again... :-(

char_baby

Charlotte :)
Apr 26, 2010
Hampshire
Mine's the same. Full of rattles and cheap tacky plastics - never worth the £16k I paid for it - wish I'd bought a 3 year old BMW 320d. More comfortable, more toys, far superior build quality, as economical to run, much more kudos. In fact, superior in every way except it would be out of warranty and shade slower 0-60. Won't be buying another SEAT again... :-(

So why not get rid of it if you dont like it?

ShiftySid

Jul 27, 2010
So why not get rid of it if you dont like it?

Am seriously thinking about it. But having paid £16,000 in September 2010, it's only worth £13,500 private or £11,000 on a trade-in now. I can't afford to lose £3,500 in the space of just 8 months. I know all cars depreciate, but we usually just accept it over the 3-5 year term of ownership but inside 8 months it's a lot to loose, especially when I don't have any more money in my 'car budget' - any replacement would have to come from the cash raised from selling the Cupra. That would effectively be like paying £16k for a £12k beemer - in hindsight, I should have bought a £12k BM last September and left £4k in my bank account.

Don't get me wrong, I like some things about the Cupra - ie speed and fuel economy combo. But to sit inside it, it just doesn't feel like £16k of car - it feels like a cheap tacky £8k car with an expensive engine and DSG - which lets face it, is exactly what it is.

Which begs the question why did I buy it in the first place? Impulsiveness and being sold on the exterior looks and the mpg/speed combo. A month later, novelty wore off - wish I had bought a grown-up car again now.

Cornish Pixie

Loving Dirty Derv Power
Apr 29, 2011
North Wiltshire
Am seriously thinking about it. But having paid £16,000 in September 2010, it's only worth £13,500 private or £11,000 on a trade-in now. I can't afford to lose £3,500 in the space of just 8 months. I know all cars depreciate, but we usually just accept it over the 3-5 year term of ownership but inside 8 months it's a lot to loose, especially when I don't have any more money in my 'car budget' - any replacement would have to come from the cash raised from selling the Cupra. That would effectively be like paying £16k for a £12k beemer - in hindsight, I should have bought a £12k BM last September and left £4k in my bank account.

Don't get me wrong, I like some things about the Cupra - ie speed and fuel economy combo. But to sit inside it, it just doesn't feel like £16k of car - it feels like a cheap tacky £8k car with an expensive engine and DSG - which lets face it, is exactly what it is.

Which begs the question why did I buy it in the first place? Impulsiveness and being sold on the exterior looks and the mpg/speed combo. A month later, novelty wore off - wish I had bought a grown-up car again now.

Feel for you bud, if you have fallen out of love with your Cupra to that extent, it's either going to ba long haul living with it for the next few years (if you are planning to keep it that long) or it sounds like you've got a bit of a hit in the wallet looming unless you can patch up the relationship between yourself and the car.

I do think "cheap tacky £8k car" is being a little harsh on your Cupra though. I'm sure there are plenty of people driving £8k cars that would love a 8 month old Cupra, but one mans sauce is another mans poisen and all that guff.

I guess it depends on what you were used to driving prior to the Cupra? For me it was an 11 year old Vectra GSi, so I love my TDi FR as a daily driver. We've also got a 12 month old Merc C Class etate and TBH there isn't that much to choose between the Ibiza and the C Class in terms of overall build quality.

ShiftySid

Jul 27, 2010
I'm not really surprised about Merc build quality - they never have been that great on the interior compared to BMW, Audi etc. I suppose the £8k comment is a bit harsh but the overall point remains the same - the money has all gone on the DSG and engine. Apart from different seats and some cheap-looking shiny black plastic on the dash the interior is virtually the same as the base model. Being a VAG product, I'd at least expect a little chrome around the air vents (Audi-style) and some better materials on the door panels. The centre console where the handbrake is located is shockingly poor quality.

I only had an Astra before the Cupa - but I guess I was spoilt coming from the class above. Super-minis always have been a bit scant on trim and features compared to hatchbacks and saloons etc.

I'm not sure if I have 'fallen out of love' with it, or if I am just suffering from 'The grass is always greener' syndrome...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.