About to dive head first into the Leon market...

Turborat

Sep 16, 2019
Hi all,

After years of owning many different hot hatches (CIvic Type-R, Pulsar GTI-R, Golf GTI's etc) I've decided to leap head first into the Seat Leon market and I'm looking for some newbie advice on what I should look for when looking at potential purchases.

I'm currently looking at the 2.0 TDI FR (Tech Pack) around 2016 with a budget of £9500. Any advice from you guys would be much appreciated.

Thanks

TR

Reactions: Syphon

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hi and welcome. Not sure what your knowledge is like of cars. But a few years back mine was nil and I got sold a diesel to do a 2 mile trip to work each day (which didn't end well). So I guess the first advice would be, have a read up on DPFs. I'm assuming as your switching to diesel your going to be doing a fair amount of miles?

Turborat

Sep 16, 2019
Hi Legojon,

appreciate you getting back to me.

I do at least 40 mile round trip to work every day plus the odd trip into London for work so that's why I've decided down the diesel route. I'll look into the DPF side of things, hopefully I can find some info on what to look for.

Apart from the DPF, are there any other general Leon niggly issues I should keep my eye out for? Also, is the 184hp version worth keeping an eye out for?

Thanks

TR

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015

Turborat

Sep 16, 2019
Thanks for the link, looks like I'm better off holding out for the right 184 ;-)

TR

Turborat

Sep 16, 2019
So I've managed to find a 2017 2.0 TDI (184) Tech Pack with 50k on the clock, 1 owner and full SEAT history.

It has also been remapped on a RR to 213hp (with printouts) so as I'm test driving it on Saturday, can anyone know what I need to look for? Would this amount of power cause the standard clutch any issues? Anything I can check with regards to the clutch?

Would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks

TR

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
So I've managed to find a 2017 2.0 TDI (184) Tech Pack with 50k on the clock, 1 owner and full SEAT history.

It has also been remapped on a RR to 213hp (with printouts) so as I'm test driving it on Saturday, can anyone know what I need to look for? Would this amount of power cause the standard clutch any issues? Anything I can check with regards to the clutch?

Would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks

TR
What interior does it have? if its leather, I'd check the seems on the passenger and driver seats as my sisters car has about that mileage on it and the seems have cracked and the stitching is not holding it together.
I don't know much about the facelift ones, but my 2014 one, the headlights have started to get that cracking in the acrylic. Noticeable when looking at the lights from the side.

Edit: if you are going diesel for fuel economy, I have a 100 mile round trip for work each day. 70% of the trip is on duel carriageway. With the commuter traffic slowing and speeding up all the time, i still manage to consistently get 48+ mpg. I even managed 52 mpg when the roads were clear during the summer holidays.

That's in a 1.8 TSI, the petrol 184 bhp equivalent.

Turborat

Sep 16, 2019
What interior does it have? if its leather, I'd check the seems on the passenger and driver seats as my sisters car has about that mileage on it and the seems have cracked and the stitching is not holding it together.
I don't know much about the facelift ones, but my 2014 one, the headlights have started to get that cracking in the acrylic. Noticeable when looking at the lights from the side.

Edit: if you are going diesel for fuel economy, I have a 100 mile round trip for work each day. 70% of the trip is on duel carriageway. With the commuter traffic slowing and speeding up all the time, i still manage to consistently get 48+ mpg. I even managed 52 mpg when the roads were clear during the summer holidays.

That's in a 1.8 TSI, the petrol 184 bhp equivalent.

Thanks for getting back to me.

It's the half leather interior and as I plan on around 16k mile a year I thought Diesel would be my best choice.

TR

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Welcome to the forum. Be sure to take a look around, we have some great members and guides on here to help you with anything you'd like to know.

With it just being a stage 1 remap I'd say the clutch should be ok. The only thing I would point out is that the car being a 2017 model is still under warranty, and should anything go wrong the dealer may refuse to help or try and charge you for any work that should come free under warranty.

Not trying you put you off, getting a car that's already been remapped can be a bonus, but it's best to think of the whole situation :thumbup:

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Thanks for getting back to me.

It's the half leather interior and as I plan on around 16k mile a year I thought Diesel would be my best choice.

TR
This is what I meant about the stitching on the leather seats.

Attachments

• A32BB32B-5BE2-413B-8BDB-6A8CE7DD0088.jpeg
    A32BB32B-5BE2-413B-8BDB-6A8CE7DD0088.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 122
Reactions: Turborat
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.