ABS / braking problem

markjw

Oct 20, 2001
West London
Visit site
On the way home last night had someone pull out in front of me on a roundabout - hit the brakes hard and felt the ABS cut in - then the car just started rolling with no braking force at all. Fortunatly I was only doing about 20mph and managed to steer out of the way, then the brakes suddenly applied again after about 2-3 seconds (my foot remained hard on the brake pedal).

This is the second time this has happened, the first time the dealer put it down to air in the brake lines. However on either occasion it I had been travelling at a higher speed then an accident would have resulted.

Anyone any thoughts as (a) the three year warranty runs out next month and (b) I am getting sick and tired of this car's problems (been in around 8 times for loss of power, new MAF, new N75, intake system cleaned and still not fixed)

Mark

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
After the initial pulse through the pedal, what did you feel?

a/ Nothing - just a dead pedal
b/ Like someone had replaced the surface of your discs with lumps of gravel

The former is more like your description, and isn't right. You don't mess about with things like brakes (and the total failure scenario you've described). Explain the issue to the dealer and tell them you want them to investigate again, and provide a full written report covering their investigation. Inform SEAT UK Customer Services in writing so that they are aware of the issue, and what you have asked of the dealer.

If it's the latter - sounds like they are working normally and you hit something like a patch of diesel.

Do what you can to gather some more "data" - Does this happen every time you trigger the ABS? If you don't know, get out in the wet, find somewhere quiet you can get up to a bit of speed safely, and do some braking runs from 60 or 70 to walking pace (hard enough to trigger the ABS obvioulsy).

markjw

Oct 20, 2001
West London
Visit site
The ABS was working and I could feel it working through the pedal. But when the brakes did re-apply it felt like only normal braking, not an emergency stop. Is it possible the system is loosing pressure somehow?

Was able to do some low speed tests (15-20mph) last night and all seemed fine then, unfortunatly don't have any where round here that is quiet enough to do some high speed stops. Noticed that after hard braking the back of the car feels like it is sitting high and drops when the brake pedal is released - I guess this is to do with the effect the braking has on the suspension

Also noticed last night that when starting the car the ABS and TCS lights come back on for a second. ie turn ignition switch on, lights come on and then go off, crank engine and the lights come back on. Certainly never used to do this.

Mark

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
I've had a similar problem with my first toledo and it was due to the vaccuum pipes from servo to lines (i think) had split so the more pressure applied the less braking force I had. Had em replaced and back to normal

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.