ABS light taped over... causing big problems

Emberrs

May 9, 2018
hey guys, i recently bought an 06 leon fr mk2 and it went in for in mot last week, came out with a few problems but mostly electrical, my main issue is that my go to garage has figured out that the abs light does not come on with the ignition and later found out that someone has taped the abs light over behind the gauge cluster, obviously i cannot pass mot until that light self checks, i went to my main dealer near me to get a diagnostic on the other mot issues and to ask about what to do with the taped light, after the diagnostic they come back to tell me that they cannot touch the current gauge cluster in there for fears of screwing with the immobilizer or some other company issues and said the only solution they could do was a replacement cluster and quoted me £700 for a new cluster with installation and fitment and coding the immobilizer or something like that, i took the diagnostic back to my garage and they are starting work on a few other issues on the car but after telling them that the main dealer wouldnt touch the current gauge cluster also refused to do any work on it, this is my problem, i dont want to spend 1/3 of the cars value on a new cluster just to remove a piece of tape from the abs light and cannot get my garage to do it, i would take it apart and remove the tape myself but after hearing about the risks with the immobilizer am unsure if it is safe as i dont want to trip the immobilizer and have another problem to add to the growing list of them, any advice appreciated, i usually try to do mechanical stuff myself but electrical stuff like this feels a bit out of my knowledge, thanks, heres hoping this nightmare gets sorted soon

andycupra

status subject to change
if you disconnect the battery for a while before and during dismantling/removing of the cluster I cant see any real risk. (unless you are overly aggressive but that goes for any work on a car).
Dealers are a long way from being experts. They have their diagnostic equipment to work out whats wrong and all they ever do is replace parts. In fact a dealer if the worst place to go IMO if you want something repaired rather than replaced. They only replace parts. After all, its easier, they get more money out of you, and how would SEAT like it if they found dealers stopped buying parts from them.

Telling the garage there is a risk around the immobilisor just made them think the job isn't work the risk.

Any decent garage, - or perhaps contact a company that 'repairs' odometers/dash would be an option.

Otherwise if you feel competent I am sure you can do this.
And then after that you need to work out whats wrong with the ABS.... have you scanned for this?

Emberrs

May 9, 2018
thanks for the reply, i could most likely do it myself but am also not sure how to take out the gauge cluster and take it apart, not really a job ive done before

fozzybear

middle aged speed freak
Feb 4, 2006
halifax,west yorks
one question you need to ask is if abs covered for replavement...as on mk2s was a recall on abs units...probably why taped over....as given a repair bill instead of recall replacement as can be dear...bought mine 2 years old from seat drove 10 miles abs light came on...took back and replaced after talk ....the garage who sold you car most probably did cover up i would take back and threaten trading standards and possible fraud on issue of previous mot and see if will repair ...as sold faulty goods and is liable....as not fit for purpose due to dangerous fault with braking system....dont let them fob you off as they know they could be prosicuted if pushed legal action.....hope not too late with this info...lol

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise