Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Accessory Buyer Beware!

Discussion in '** FORUM RULES & FAQ - Please Read **' started by jonnor, Dec 11, 2013.

1. jonnor

jonnor Guest

I needed a 12volt car accessory plug to use with an additional led light. Halfords didn't have any, tried Maplins - yes, £2.99. Excellent and surprisingly cheap. Alas, total rubbish. No way of connecting the wires... it had to be a botched soldering job....and a big risk of short circuiting. Even worse - most times it refuses to work. Is there anywhere I can get a DECENT 12 volt accessory plug?

2. xbl

xbl Active Member

If the soldering has been botched that's your fault not the item, if you need to add insulation then do so.

3. jonnor

jonnor Guest

No - the soldering certainly wasn't botched - it was perfectly done and insulated. The item ended up as a botch when it should have incorporated proper connecting points. It was not fit for sale, and in less experienced hands could have been a potential fire hazard

4. rae1001

You know what they say.. "You get what you pay for". If you want something decent then pay more than £2.99

5. jonnor

jonnor Guest

Too right Rae......I just couldn't find anything at a more "guaranteed " price. The only alternative was even cheaper. And the retailers don't seem to care these days.

6. CatB1

CatB1 Full Member

They sell them with bare wires so you can add your own connectors, probably also available from Maplins.

Pete