Adding iPod/USB and Bluetooth to Ibiza Headunit

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
So this has cropped up a few times on here and for most people its completely irrelevant as they have it as standard in their cars.

For people like me who have a slightly older version or an ex-demo this doesnt come as standard and it's really frustrating.

I was in the dealership yesterday whilst picking up my car (woohoo!) and they said that the Dension kits dont work properly and lots of people are having problems with them.

I dont want an aftermarket kit, i want the original part for my stereo so i can keep it all neat and working properly.

The sales guys and techies said that Seat are looking into a fix for this but i'm worried that it will get too late and they wont bother. Are there any other people in the same situation or want to get this added to their car? Anyone managed to get a Dension kit to work properly with their headunit (browsing on screen etc)? Any other solution i havent heard of yet (not connects2 - this is also rubbish).

Thanks

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
Need to keep this thread busy till someone comes up with a solution. People need to keep badgering thier local dealerships as well for an answer. If they dont think there is a need for it then they wont bother finding one.

Techie has got a Dension unit on his Bocanegra but i cant find the post where he talks about installing it and getting it to work. If your reading this mate, please shed some light!

jimjam39

Im interested in this also. Want to keep the standard unit though.

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
Im interested in this also. Want to keep the standard unit though.

Same, i dont want to go aftermarket. I like the current headunit, think it looks smart and is pretty easy to use. I'm just gutted that it doesnt have this dam media connection port, when i test drove it i was too distracted by how fun it was.

SEAT - GIVE ME THE DAM BOX OF TRICKS!!

I wonder if i could find a written off Cupra with the headunit and connections still intact. I could rip and replace the whole lot then?

t21svj

Sep 23, 2010
Formby, Liverpool
buy a parrot kit?, the chances if seat do sort the problem out it aint going to be cheap, the parrot kit cost about 200quid might sound alot but techi on here were pricing the parts up and they were very expensive.
the parrot kit give you bluetooth hands free aswell.

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
It sounds stupid but I'm not too fussed if its going to be expensive - I managed to get a good deal on the car so it's not that importnt.

Plus i really want to keep it all on the original head unit - keep it looking tidy as possible. Bit OCD when it comes to my car :)

Apr 9, 2009
I seem to remember techie saying that you would need an entirely new section plate down where the USB is usually found, and iirc he had a part number. But this was a while back so i may be wrong. So for a start you'll need that which i'm guessing will be costly then all the actual components.

kw1984

Nov 14, 2010
Manchester
Heres what the standard stuff in the cupra looks like. I just took some pics:

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

How you get those bit's to connect to the head unit though is another matter!!

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
Heres what the standard stuff in the cupra looks like. I just took some pics:

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

How you get those bit's to connect to the head unit though is another matter!!

Crikey, what the hell are all those bits? I wont give up till i find out how much, who, where and how i get this done!

Thanks for the pics though mate, much appreciated.

Anyone got a Dension unit working properly? Or Spoken to dension about when its going to work?

jujosaar

Well, it seems the main bit you want is that black box with that circuit board inside it.

It's a "MDI(J650) 6J0-035-342-B"

Can someone confirm that I could have USB functions just by purchasing that box?

Note: I do have VAG-COM with CAN adapter, if there's some tick boxes to fill... ;)

And I don't really care about the possible panels missing etc. since I'm not going to fit the USB on the original spot but perhaps in the glove box or on the dashboard with a dock.

Last edited by a moderator:

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
Well, it seems the main bit you want is that black box with that circuit board inside it.

It's a "MDI(J650) 6J0-035-342-B"

Can someone confirm that I could have USB functions just by purchasing that box?

Note: I do have VAG-COM with CAN adapter, if there's some tick boxes to fill... ;)

And I don't really care about the possible panels missing etc. since I'm not going to fit the USB on the original spot but perhaps in the glove box or on the dashboard with a dock.

I second this - This is EXACTLY what i'll be doing except i would need to find someone with a VAG-COM box to switch on the functions.

Kolobok_4

Our radios are made by Blaupunkt if I remember correctly. After searching their website a little I found this:

blaupunkt.de/index.php?id=946&no_cache=1&L=1&uid=5891&tx_ddfservicedoku_pi1[view]=single

iPod/iPhone and 2 USB connections. Made by the company that makes our headunits. looks like a good start. Now, it says that this thing is compatible "Blaupunkt radios with C‘n‘C interface (starting 2008)." Anyone know if that applies to our headunits? Can someone take a look at the diagram in the PDF and see if the ports make sense?

kw1984

Nov 14, 2010
Manchester
If there is a spare place on the back of a NON usb ibiza radio to plug this in then it seems like this would suit.

Someone with a non USB ibiza would need to have a look on their radio.

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
Our radios are made by Blaupunkt if I remember correctly. After searching their website a little I found this:

blaupunkt.de/index.php?id=946&no_cache=1&L=1&uid=5891&tx_ddfservicedoku_pi1[view]=single

iPod/iPhone and 2 USB connections. Made by the company that makes our headunits. looks like a good start. Now, it says that this thing is compatible "Blaupunkt radios with C‘n‘C interface (starting 2008)." Anyone know if that applies to our headunits? Can someone take a look at the diagram in the PDF and see if the ports make sense?

good lad!!

can anyone confirm the ports?

ive got a non usb radio. ill look tomorrow.

lets keep this thread going please till this is sorted, would save alot of people a headache/frustration!

kareemsafwat

A N I M A L
Feb 21, 2008
Egypt

searched for it, and found it's not compatible.
"Sorry - not compatible with factory-fitted head units (even those originally manufactured by Blaupunkt) " [:@]

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/car-audio.aspx/7607541520-adaptor

Kolobok_4

"Sorry - not compatible with factory-fitted head units (even those originally manufactured by Blaupunkt) "

Very frustrating. [:@]

Spent the last I don't know how many hours trying to google every number from the pictures posted above.

This is the closest I got to finding a solution: golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=102873

and pictures of the unit: forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4952822-FS-Ipod-adapter-5N0-035-342B&p=66924682&viewfull=1#post66924682

this unit has a different part number (5N0 035 342 C as opposed to the 6J0-035-342-B) but they both share the name MDI J650... maybe this is hope? The upside of this story, if it works, is that those units are being sold on ebay. As opposed to the SEAT ones:cry:

What do you guys think?

If anyone wants to checkout the ebay link: cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Media-mdi-kit-GTI-PassatCC-Tiguan-Golf-Jetta-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem43a2b4c0a3QQitemZ290492563619QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

EDIT: The description on ebay says it's only compatible with RNS310 and RNS510, but this is posted in the States where there are no SEATS so the compatibility of our headunits is most likely not taken into consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:

kareemsafwat

A N I M A L
Feb 21, 2008
Egypt
i think '5N0 035 342 C' should work, but this isn't for USB, it's only for IPOD !!

i might give it a try in the future.

Kolobok_4

a USB socket or an iPod cable can be hooked up to this unit, apparently.

take a look at this one: cgi.ebay.com/VW-Skoda-Seat-Media-MDI-USB-IPOD-Intergration-RNS-510-/370457238227?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5640f8dad3

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members