Additives, toothbrush or flooring it?

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
Hi all, I've been using Diesel ecomax for a long time but I hear from many that fuels have plenty of that stuff already. (Apart from stripping) I'm looking to get the insides of my pd150 healthy happy and clean. Has anyone had a good experience doing so and how did you do it, I don't wanna keep buying these shop bought products if I'm just pissing against the wind. Cheers all.

Sent from my Z2 using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
From what I've read / experienced when I had my diesel. The only real way is to take it apart and clean it by hand, or walnut blasting. Depending on where abouts you are, I know darkside do walnut blasting. I'm trying to get my petrol booked in at R-tech (not sure if they do it for diesel as well). Or if your confident stripping it down yourself, a bucket of carb clean and a toothbrush.

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
I know darkside do walnut blasting. I'm trying to get my petrol booked in at R-tech
first ive heard of this, and google searches keep mentioning BMW/mini, so im assuming it was developed by or for them. have you had it done to a car before, and if so, how much of a difference did it make? my petrol ibiza is 10 years old so i reckon its got some gnarly carbon build up inside!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
first ive heard of this, and google searches keep mentioning BMW/mini, so im assuming it was developed by or for them. have you had it done to a car before, and if so, how much of a difference did it make? my petrol ibiza is 10 years old so i reckon its got some gnarly carbon build up inside!

Here you go:
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/walnut-media-blasting-carbon-cleaning/

It's pretty much what it says on the tin, they blast the internal components with walnut shells. Which breaks up the carbon. There's a handful of places that do it these days. I'm currently trying to get my Cupra booked in for the end of this month to get it done. But as xmas falls, it'll probably be a bit tricky.

Reactions: kanyewest

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Two different systems being talked about here:
Blasting with crushed walnut shells is mainly for air routing
Terraclean for fuel routing
Both work great for each independent system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zardoz

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
I used millers and diesel rhino, then I started using Archoil. I also tried shell Vpower for 6 month's and consistently averaged 50 miles per tank LESS than when I used the cheap sainsburys diesel. I don't know if the additives really help or not and there doesn't seem to be enough independant evidence to say one way or another.

Reactions: kanyewest

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
I also tried shell Vpower for 6 month's and consistently averaged 50 miles per tank LESS than when I used the cheap sainsburys diesel.
I've been using bog standard shell diesel (occasionally treat myself to a tank of V-Power) but last time I filled up with Morrisons diesel I noticed I got less miles and poor running. My leon's been mapped so not sure if that was why the difference was more noticeable?

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
I've been using bog standard shell diesel (occasionally treat myself to a tank of V-Power) but last time I filled up with Morrisons diesel I noticed I got less miles and poor running. My leon's been mapped so not sure if that was why the difference was more noticeable?
Mapped cars should ideally be run on super unleaded

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Not heard the cam belt thing, but I'll be getting mine done at the right time. Only thing I was aware of was the extra torque is prone to finishing off old clutches but I'd had my clutch (and gearbox) replaced before the map.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.