Adjusting Rear Seats in Leon - Rattle/squeak

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
I have the dreaded rattle in my car again;

took it to dealers last week and they "adjusted the rear seats". Didnt tell me what exactly they did. The problem seemed to be much better. Then I reinstalled my rear strut brace and it has come back. (I kinda thought this was the problem so had to remove it for them to look at the problem)

Now my rattle is coming from my rear passenger-side seat.

I have played around with the "bump stop" thats behind the seat, but to no avail.

Is there any other adjustments I am missing? Perhaps down at the bottom of the seat? Or should I just cover the bracket in insulation/masking tape again (same as drivers side lol) and see if this helps?

Cheers

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Car spent 4 hours in the stealers last week having a rear rattle investigated. They checked tri, seat mechanisms, replaced interior boot hatch trim panel with a new one, but it seems to be coming from the offside rear A pillar trim. Seems to also rattle between the a-pillar and the panel which holds up the parcel shelf.

I could make a career out of fixing rear end rattles on Leon's. Thank god its not quite as bad as my Mk4 Ibiza was. :cartman:

Robbo149

Professional VAG addict!
Apr 25, 2005
West Yorks
I have rattling rear seats too, made worse by added squeaking with them being leather! I just put it down to being a 'characteristic' :rolleyes:

cheers,
Robbo

psq43

Wibbly Wobbly
Feb 1, 2005
Wiltshire
I have a god awful creaking sound from entire rear end! Most noicable when going over speed bumps or anything which causes the rear suspension to compress at lower speeds! I know some guys on here with LCR's have had warranty issues with the rear suspension, could this be yet another??

k11jrp

old and wiser
Robbo149 said:
I have rattling rear seats too, made worse by added squeaking with them being leather! I just put it down to being a 'characteristic' :rolleyes:

cheers,
Robbo
Leather is a bitch for squeeks in very cold weather, i have an annoying squeek/rub from the drivers seat (seat belt catch rubbing against the leather seat [:@]

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
yes admittedly the leather doesnt help. but this is definately the seat at fault as the dealer managed to fix it - even if only for a day or two.... (probably my fault for putting the rear brace straight back in)

I am sure there must be some form of adjustment, as the dealer said they did it...

linton

Daz8161 said:
i tried that in my car but im getting a rattle from my boot lock or trim in the boot i think

Iam getting that noise too its driving me bloody mad :( cos sounds to me as its a metal kinda noise so could be the boot lock :confused:

Daz8161

Daz
Mar 9, 2005
Belfast
yea thats what im thinking, i couldnt be bothered taking it to the dealers though coz i dont have the time and its a pain in the ass when they take the car for a day :( looks like its a diy job-operation de-rattle!!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
i thought it was in my boot, in fact, i thought it was my suspension.
However, easy way to find out was to lower the back seats and go for a drive, perhaps on a journey you know makes the seats/whatever creak.

I did this, and when i went for a drive, the creaking stopped. Mine is definately the back seats.
If you do this and the sound gets worse, you know its in the boot somewhere.

Looks like i will be resorting to the insulation tape on the seat catch tomorrow... driving me mad :(

linton

i tried that putting the seats down and it didnt work , so back to the drawing bored :confused:

MattR

Yellow...
Mar 18, 2002
Coventry
Visit site
I had my Leon in the dealers last week for the creak coming from the rear. (They said they weren't aware of any known problems with the suspension.)

It hardly rattled when we took it out for a drive, but they've lubricated the bushes or something?? Its a bit early to say if its made any difference.

My Leon only rattles when the top part of the suspension goes dry. It you clean it and spray the hose up the wheelarches it will go away for about 3-4 days.

I originally thought the rattle was coming from the inside, but after I removed the back seats, disconnected the seat belts and even removed the door card on the back doors I realised it was the suspension :think:

psq43

Wibbly Wobbly
Feb 1, 2005
Wiltshire
Mine does do it irrespective of wet/dry conditions. Took back seats down and headed off last night, 100 or so yards, large hump in road, louder creak from rear. Stopped, took parcel shelf down, and tried again, you guessed it, loud creak from rear!!!!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise