Advice Needed with Boost Leak

Cupra Iain

PSN : Jebus_1979
Feb 2, 2005
Cheltenham
I'm removing an autometer boost gauge later which is currently piped into my FPR. Question is, if i remove the gauge and the hose, will the open end of the t-piece cause a boost leak?? :confused: I don't want to remove the t-piece completely as i'll soon be sticking a new Defi BF gauge in, but obviously don't want to be losing any precious boost in the meantime....

Any ideas???

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Yes mate there will be a leak but worse than boost its on your fuel! with that leak there you FPR wont work.

Also im glad someone else has got theres on the FPR too! though i was the only one! What clips did you use? what pipe did you use and where did you get your defi from? If you dont mind me asking?

Cupra Iain

PSN : Jebus_1979
Feb 2, 2005
Cheltenham
The pipe is just 3mm clear plastic tubing, would get some pics up but it's pitch black and i've no garage! :doh:
Will it just be a case of blacking of the tube to stop the leak, or will i need to remove the t-piece and replace with another connector??

Defi gauges are coming 2nd hand from LCRMat (cheers mate), so saved a few qud on 'em. They'll be goin in a double pillar pod from nomad, hopefully look proper bo!

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Thats what i was hopeing you wouldnt say! as i was after those!

Just pull the T piece out and plug the end that goes back into the engine onto the FPR.

Have you run it like that ok? I had some pipe like that and changed it for fuel line as i thought it may melt?

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
i got a refund on my first gauge and whilst i was waiting for my A.M. phantom gauge to arrive i bought a straight through piece of plactic (like a T piece but without the horrizontal bit) and put it in the vacum pipe! problem solved!

it would almost be like plugging the T piece until u needed it again!

sorry if my reply is inccorect as im pissed and read ur thread very quickly! lol

james :)

PlatinumR

Arrived and lovin it!!
Jul 23, 2004
Shoreham-by-Sea
If you pull the pipe off the FPR it raises the fuel pressure to approx 3 bar, so if you didn't blank the end you would get too much fuel for a given engine speed/load at the lower end.
Did you cut the FPR pipe or just pull it off the FPR? I just pulled mine off :hide: and used a bit of gauge piping from FPR to T piece and the pushed the FPR hose onto the T piece.

PlatinumR

Arrived and lovin it!!
Jul 23, 2004
Shoreham-by-Sea
The FPR regulates the fuel pressure depending on the intake manifold pressure to give a constant fuel reduction at the injectors depending on speed/load. I guess when the car is chipped these figures are manipulated to use the greater fuel pressure.
The FPR is controlled by vac/boost so no way to adjust it.

PlatinumR

Arrived and lovin it!!
Jul 23, 2004
Shoreham-by-Sea
No, if you take the pipe off, the fuel pressure goes to the max of the regulator e.g 4 bar approx. How much the fuel pressure is regulated is controlled by the vac/boost hose.
At idle there is a vac so the FPR only lets say 2.5 bar through, at boost when you need more fuel it's letting through 3 bar or 4 depending on the fpr.
it's only a guess but if you have a 4 bar in place of a 3 bar on a standard car you would be getting a little too much fuel.
Not sure that's helped much.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members