Advice on abandoned car on my drive

almas09

Jul 31, 2017
Yes, it is on private land.

I am going down the route of obtaining drivers details through DVLA, which may take 2-4 weeks.

I think once its on public road the authorities would defo take it seriously. But do you think I will be liable for any damage occurred once it is off my land?

weasley

May 19, 2017
South Oxfordshire
I think it's just a case of the Police being lazy, technically the owner has broken the law, I am sure this would be categorised as trespass which is an offence, so the police should obtain the details of the registered keeper and contact them.

Which law has been broken? Trespass is a civil offence and therefore not upheld by the police but through civil court action (ie litigation). If there is any damage to property as a consequence of the trespass then a criminal damage offence may be committed but in this case everything looks like it is neatly and deliberately parked.

It clearly has tax and an MOT - is it insured? https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Have the police confirmed (or even commented on) whether it is stolen or not?

almas09

Jul 31, 2017
Which law has been broken? Trespass is a civil offence and therefore not upheld by the police but through civil court action (ie litigation). If there is any damage to property as a consequence of the trespass then a criminal damage offence may be committed but in this case everything looks like it is neatly and deliberately parked.

It clearly has tax and an MOT - is it insured? https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Have the police confirmed (or even commented on) whether it is stolen or not?

I believe it is insured.
Police have confirmed it has not been reported as stolen.

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
You have the right to do whatever you please as to park a car on private property you have to gain land owners permission, which he clearly doesnt have.

I work for a local council and deal with these types of enquiries daily. The council i work for would look into this vehicle and basically act on your behalf and track down the owner.

What is the condition of the vehicle like? Well looked after? Has it been parked well on your drive or just dumped? Is it locked?

If local authorities are not willing, then that leaves you with only 1 option of moving it yourself in any way shape or form.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Yeah this is what I was thinking. Someone has abandoned their car on your private driveway, it's your property and they do not have permission for it to be there.

I've tried a few times to claim an abandoned car and it's bloody hard, it's not worth the hassle.

It's taxed so it's road legal, it's not parked on public property so basically no one cares, you can claim to be the registered keeper but not the owner...because it's still legally owned by someone, and you won't be able to get their details because no one will give them to you.

I would do what has already been suggested, move it on to the road, no one is really going to care. If it gets damaged while on the road, it's not on your property so surely not your problem.

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
Yes, it is on private land.

I am going down the route of obtaining drivers details through DVLA, which may take 2-4 weeks.

I think once its on public road the authorities would defo take it seriously. But do you think I will be liable for any damage occurred once it is off my land?
That is if there is a registered keeper on file of DVLA. Sometimes the search can come back with no keeper details.

Is it close to running out of tax?

Another thing. Do any of your neighbours have CCTV

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
Not sure on the legalities, but if you were to say put up a parking here costs £10 per hour sign, claim it was always there before it was parked, boom, imagine the money you could make, of course you'll end up in court to get the money, but hell, hundreds of private parking firms do it each day, why can't you!

But on a serious note I had a similar situation last year, I posted on our local area Facebook page and found the owner, who has on holiday in Spain for 2 weeks!

almas09

Jul 31, 2017
Tax runs out in July :(

Unfortunately neighbours don't have CCTV, this is something I regret not having.
I might give the Facebook post a go, see if someone owns up.

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Maybe someone from the local pub could be persuaded to deal with it for a few pints. Be a shame if it vanished when you were at work. ;)

Par

Mar 22, 2004
Fife
Are you not due to have a delivery of manure for a garden project to your drive this week?:whistle:

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
you need to be a bit dodgy and just drag it off your drive onto the street.
Playing by the rules and asking nice and sending a letter to the dvla will get you nowhere fast.

You got a rough pub nearby? A round of drinks for several patrons should get it moved onto the street.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Failed then passed its MOT on 19th April by the look of it.

These Celicas are really rare now but one seems to have found you. Maybe it's a surprise present :rofl:

Jokes aside I can't believe the front of some people, I think i would attempt to move it off the drive onto a nearby road so at least it is out of your way, if anything happens to it so be it.

andycupra

status subject to change
I think it's just a case of the Police being lazy, technically the owner has broken the law, I am sure this would be categorised as trespass which is an offence, so the police should obtain the details of the registered keeper and contact them.

Except that trespass is not a criminal offence purely in itself..
Breaking and entering would be, as would be criminal damage when trespassing, or technically trespassing that 'interfers' but in this case its not blocking anyone, not causing a nuisance, (well not one that the police or CPS would be interested in) and therefore will be considered as a civil case.

OP - do you live near a railway station or airport? any chance they have parked and gone for a break?

Last edited:

Kinetic

Nov 18, 2017
Some very understanding people around here, regardless of criminality. Get a couple of friends round and push it off your drive and onto the road. Seems very reasonable to me.

Don-P

Early Man
Oct 5, 2017
Angus
This is one of the most strange posts I've ever read on any car forum. I'm intrigued - is your drive just a normal drive, i.e. runs up the side of your house? Clearly a drive belonging to your house and not an area that could be considered in any way to be communal ground? What a liberty!

Part of me would want to block it in so that the owner had to come knocking on my door when they want to get it out just so I could tear a strip off them. If that was going to inconvenience me though I would just ask a mate with a big 4x4 to pull it off my drive and dump it someplace. I would make a point of putting it somewhere very difficult to get it out of.

Please do update this thread...

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
One dark and stormy night, some delinquents will break a window and push it out on the road in an attempt to steal it. Right?
You will hear a noise and call the Pohlice.

Job's done!

It's all covered by the Ways and Means Act 1908.

almas09

Jul 31, 2017
Thanks for the replies guys.

I live quite far from the railway station/airport.

The drive runs up to the side of our garden, plus my street is a 'close', only people coming around are friends/family of neighbours.

I will attempt to pop round to speak to the Police after work tomorrow, if that fails then I will certainly be taking extreme measures.

My mate has a Shogun, should be enough to move it away.

CAPS_LOCK_STUCK

Aug 11, 2017
Worcestershire
Except that trespass is not a criminal offence purely in itself..
Breaking and entering would be, as would be criminal damage when trespassing, or technically trespassing that 'interfers' but in this case its not blocking anyone, not causing a nuisance, (well not one that the police or CPS would be interested in) and therefore will be considered as a civil case.

OP - do you live near a railway station or airport? any chance they have parked and gone for a break?

That's easily solved though, just kick the gate in, trample some plants etc and say they did it? :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.