Advice on changing Rear brake\ light in Altea

manzaboy

Hi,
Noticed the lamp warning light come on in my 54 plate Altea and then checked and I have a brake\rear light bulb gone.

The only issue is I cannot make any sense of the handbook instructions for replacing the bulb!
It suggests I take out 2 screws that are rear facing in the door seal next to the rear light enclosure. Then do I have to undo all the screws in the carpeted hatch access to the lights!?? Major confusion - I may be a little green in thsi kind of thing but I am wondering if it's not the spanish - english translation :)

Has anyone done one of these before and can offer any advice?
I am reluctant to take to the garage as it is likely to cost me so much...

Many thanks in advance.

Manzaboy

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Dead easy to do mate. Just make sure you get the correct bulb as it's peculiar on the Altea. It's a single filament bulb which does side light and brake light (dual voltage, see).

As for getting into it, you have to remove the whole light unit which (as I remember) is a couple of plastic lug nut type things. They're held captive on a plastic wire so you can't drop them. Once undone, unclip the cable connection plug, then the light unit pops out and you can remove the blown bulb and replace with the new.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
You have to take the external screws off under the caps inside the hatchback rain gulley as well as the "basket" nuts inside the boot flap, These are a real pain to undo. don't loose/drop em. Then take the whole lamp unit out. There was a more datailed thread recently.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
It's not a special bulb at all. It's a bog standard 21w bulb, but there's different types so you need one the same as the one that comes out. Any motor factors, Halfords etc. see my post above.

It's peculiar insofar as one single filament bulb does both side light and brake light, that's all.