After the Winter Season

ettlz

Sep 21, 2006
I've read in the manual that after the Winter season one should clean the underside of the car (and engine compartment) to help prevent corrosion (expedited by salting, etc., although the gritters haven't been out so much my way). What's the best way to go about doing this: take it through a car wash with upward sprays; get out a bucket and brush and scrub, being careful around the tender bits (the so-called "equestrian" method :blink:); or the garden hose with a shower attachment?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
after the winter salting of the roads wait untill it pisses down with rain and go for a drive on the motorway for half an hour

but if you want to go to a carwash that has underbody jets thats cool too

Or put the car on a few bricks where the wheels should be, any local child in a track suit will be able to assist in this procedure. The large concrete ones are best as they are stronger and only four blocks lifts to the desired height on each corner, this enables the efficient use of the mighty watery sword of the Jet Wash. Although i would be wary of washing the engine as there are some sensitive electrical bits in there and my jet wash manual said not to jet was car engine bays!

Just my own personal method for the weekly wash!

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
living in kent we can only dream of using our own jet washes.

So down the ARC for me, best to give it regular washes, with warm water too to dissolve the salt, But also come end of march early april once gritting season finishes give it one hell of a spring clean.

Cupra_Jay

Orange Wheels FTW!!
Oct 25, 2006
Pub!!
living in kent we can only dream of using our own jet washes

is the hose pipe ban still on then?? havent heard anything about it for ages!

if i was gonan clean the underside of my car, i wud jack it up on one side and get the old jet wash out and give it a good spray and then if needs be get a sponge out and wipe it over then wash it all off again

Last edited:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
If you're going to wash the underside of the car, best time is when you've just been driving in the rain, so all the mud etc is nice and soft.

Like someone says above though, I'd just wait until it's pissed it down and have a good drive around the wettest roads you can find.

Not so relevant on modern cars though, maybe 10+ years ago when cars used to rust more easily.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise