Aftermarket radio and 12v switched

J14roj

Sep 5, 2018
Hi everyone, looking for a little help while Looking st gettin aftermarket radio for my mk4 Ibiza!
Basically I've identified what all the wires do using multimeter and Im Struggling with the "switched 12v" as generally this only shows 12v when the key is turned to the "acc" position, mine however shows 12 v as soon as the key is put in the ignition and stays until its removed!
Question is is that still okay to use as my switched live whe connecting to the aftermarket harness? Thanks so much in advance as this is the only thing I'm unsure of and the only thing stopping me from starting my project

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hmm, that's a bit strange. In both my Leons I think I ran my switched 12v off the lighter which was only when I turned the key. I guess the only downside is the radio will switch on when you stick the key in.

You sure the ignition barrel isn't worn? Generally like you say electrics should only be on once you turn the key a notch.

J14roj

Sep 5, 2018
Hmm, that's a bit strange. In both my Leons I think I ran my switched 12v off the lighter which was only when I turned the key. I guess the only downside is the radio will switch on when you stick the key in.

You sure the ignition barrel isn't worn? Generally like you say electrics should only be on once you turn the key a notch.
I thought it was strange also untill I remembered that my original radio would stay on even if the engine wasn’t on, and when I removed my key it would shut down! I’m okay with the radio powering on when my key isn’t put in if that’s the only difference, just thought I’d ask brighter minds than mine if there would be reprocussions of my actions haha! Cheers matey