air bag light

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Fix the fault that it's highlighting? The airbag light only comes on when there is a problem, a problem with an airbag is not a good thing to have. Unless you've intentionally removed an airbag, perhaps by fitting an aftermarket steering wheel for example?

Tamthebam

i bought the car 4 weeks ago with the air bag light on , it has the standard steering wheel so was wondering what could be wrong with the air bag to make the light come on or what to check to fix the problem

Tamthebam

you really need to get it scanned, (vag com etc) to see the fault.

are there not more than 1 airbag on the ibiza?

loose wires are a possibility.

just drivers airbag m8 and when i start the car the light goes out for a sec then back on:confused:

Tangerine_Dream

Mar 28, 2009
Swindon
I recently took my passenger side airbag out and replaced it with a glovebox, and now my light is on. Maybe the previous owner of yours did the same...

Tamthebam

:confused:
I recently took my passenger side airbag out and replaced it with a glovebox, and now my light is on. Maybe the previous owner of yours did the same...

my car is a 1996 on a N reg didnt have a pass air bag i think:confused:

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
you really need to get it scanned, (vag com etc) to see the fault.

are there not more than 1 airbag on the ibiza?

loose wires are a possibility.

I totally agree, if it's not anything obvious then VAG-COM will be your friend with this. You need to get it fixed, I believe an airbag fault is an MOT failure.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
FYI an airbag light is NOT AN MOT FAILURE

I'm going to bow to your knowledge as I believe you've got some interest in MOT's, but I was told any safety system warning light is a failure, including air bags and ABS? They have to light on the ignition, and go out again. So even if you remove the bulb they shouldn't give you a pass?

andycupra

status subject to change
I'm going to bow to your knowledge as I believe you've got some interest in MOT's, but I was told any safety system warning light is a failure, including air bags and ABS? They have to light on the ignition, and go out again. So even if you remove the bulb they shouldn't give you a pass?

You are correct, that the ABS would be a failure and that if you have abs fitted the light must come on with ignition to indicate the ABS is acticated, and then the light go out showing its free of fault.
If you remove the bulb then it SHOULD fail, although often the tester will not realise its has ABS fitted and so could pass it in error.

Airbags however are not a requirement and they shoud not fail an mot for an airbag light.

Aij29

Seat Virgin
Feb 14, 2010
Cornwall
Hi Guys

My 1998 gti doesnt have a passenger side air bag could i remove my glovebox and
retro fit one??

Would the wiring be there just not connected?

Cheers
Adrian

jazzdevil

I have a 96' 2.0 8v too and no passenger airbag (the original sales brochure suggests it was an option though)... the airbag light has been permanently on for about 10mths now, but car passed MOT.

Is it possible that the pressure pack which deploys the bag has a 'best before date', and that 14yrs on it needs re-setting/re-arming to sort it?

crossedmike

If it is one thats had the airbag removed you can trick it with a resistor apparently.

i got one with my omp wheel and the light on but engine not turning over so might go off when i get it to turn over and start

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.