Air Bag light....

poppydoodlesdad

Feb 6, 2012
Hi,

I've got an airbag warning light but I'm pretty sure what the issue is but need some advice on how to proceed.

Some while back I had to move the front passenger seat all the way back which caused the airbag warning light to come on. Apparently moving the seat back can cause the connector on the airbag wiring to disengage causing the warning light to come on. I'm given to believe this is not uncommon?

The first time this happened I paid my local garage to take the seat out and reconnect the wires.

Well it's happened again but I'm thinking that if it is literally just a connector that's disconnected, how hard can it be?

I think removing the seat shouldn't be too tricky, should it? Four bolts holding the two runners to the floor pan? Does that sound right? Appreciate any further clarification on removal of the front passenger seat.

Reconnect the wiring? I'm assuming this is just a plug that's dropped out? Again any further details on that would be appreciated.

My main concern at the moment though is that I have read that removing the seat, even with ignition off, can cause the car to think there's been an impact setting off the air bags, especially if there are side impact bags fitted. Is this true?
The solution, I believe, is to disconnect the battery (up to 30 minutes before attempting the seat removal, though not quite sure why you have to wait)?
If I did this would I need to resent anything once the battery was reconnected? And if so how would I go about this?

Any guidance much appreciated.

Many thanks

NICK

tommayo88

May 8, 2016
Hi nick,

Can't give much info on the removing the seat and sorting the airbag connector bit.
Just wanted to mention that disconnecting the battery and left a while could cause a couple of problems. If left too long the immobiliser chip in the key wouldn't be able to communicate with the vehicle once the battery is back on. The ecu can "dump" it's code thus the vehicle not starting and will require the key being programmed back in with diagnostics.

I took my battery off to unblock the drain holes underneath the battery carrier. Had it of for about 5-10 mins and when connecting back up the key started but the remote stop working but managed to re-sync it back in by pressing a button while in position 2.

Cheers tom

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

drummer.gavin

Feb 11, 2009
Dublin
I have the same problem with my passenger seat and I'm scared sh1tless to mess with the wires underneath the seat in case I trigger and explosion!! Is there any chance I could set off the bags by cutting out the connector and joining the wires??

Deleted member 54479

Hello, wondering if you managed to solve the warning light issue. I moved the seat all the way forward and now have the same light showing. I had the same issue on a previous car and with ignition off l disconnected the wires under the seat sprayed with electrical contact cleaner and re-made the connector. It worked but there's just no space on my Altea to do this! I can touch the wires but not disconnect them. Any ideas would be appreciated. Did you remove the seat?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members