Air filter

Chriiiiiiiis

Mar 29, 2014
Anyone else found the air filter cover a twat to remove?

I can’t do it and feel like snapping the *******.

Ideas??

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Anyone else found the air filter cover a twat to remove?

I can’t do it and feel like snapping the *******.

Ideas??
What engine do you have? I changed mine on a 2.0 tdi 184 and it was easy. Remove screws, lift lid, replace filter, refit lid and do screws back up. Just be careful not to overtighten them and strip the threads in the housing.

EFF11

Jun 16, 2016
If you have a 1.4TSI engine the filter cover is retained by two captive screws through the base of the filter housing so it has to come off. If you have the replacement filter it will have two holes in for the screws.

Watch this video:

sparks

Jul 7, 2018
Did mine recently on a 1.2 TSI. If it’s the same then it is a pain the first time. There are 2 ball joint/clips that hold the filter housing down. In the above video they pull it off these joints in the first few seconds, it just needs some force. Then unscrew the filter housing from underneath and you can access the filter to replace.

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
They couldn't have made that design much more pig-awkward if they'd tried, most car makers manage with just a couple
or sometimes 4 clips and no need for any tools perfectly OK.
Even the backward ones still using a few screws usually manage it so that you don't have to remove any hoses - and as
for having a filter with two holes in it....

Maybe that was the point though, discourage DIY fiddling and ensure pattern filters are more complicated/expensive to
make?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.