Air intake Pipe to asv

craig lcr

Oct 19, 2006
cleveland
I recently had my egr deleted and replaced with a bypass but after taking it all apart and cleaning it all im having serious problems getting the pipe to go back into the asv from underneath. Im guessing it an air pipe but i carnt seem to get it far enough in for the clip to keep it secure.
Is there something im doing wrong or a trick to get it back in easily?

The cars a pd170 bnm engine.

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
For a man with a username including lcr, you should expect a few wrong answers. However, you do say you have a PD170 engine, which is a TDI (and so you are not enquiring after an lcr fault).

The ASV (anti-shudder valve) is a butterfly valve sitting in the intake system that is closed when you shut down the engine to stop it running on. It looks like the throttle butterfly seen in most petrol cars, but has only vague similarities. In most of the later PD engines it is electrically driven and has no other pipes attached.

The EGR is the other suspect, which is more often vacuum driven and will also have a connection to the exhaust , a fairly large diameter pipe, involved. Usually secured with bolts and a gasket.

But then BNM is a 65 PS 3-cylinder TDI found on Polos , Ibizas and Cordobas. So I'm a bit confused.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.