Airbag... grrr!

T. Spark

Just got in... on what a night! Bit icey (spelling?!)

Anyway, can u help? basically I hit a kerp, not even too fast, but the problem is my driver side airbag has gone off?! Why I dont know!

Will need a new tyre aswell, but anyway... Im sure these things cost mega bucks to sort out?

Anyway of making it a little less painful on my already skint hide?

Cheers in advance peeps

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Oh no dude hope your ok! Cant ya just ask Mike??

I know on my 1.2 had them - they were a £120 dealer fit option for curtain 'bags so cant be too pricey really... Hope the cover isnt badly torn though - you dont wanna be needing new ones of those!

MR OBD

Sooty
Apr 22, 2005
Sheffield
right i have just spoke to our service and that once an air bag has gone off u will need the air bag ECU and u may or may not need the Drivers steering wheel air bag, the side one is 170ish and the ecu is around the same... oh and the u will need the seat cover, just under 100

Sorry maty i wish i could get em cheaper :(

If i was you bro, go around some breakers yards and try n find a car that aint had the airbag system set off, get me the chassis number and i will check if it is the same parts etc!

ST03VEN

thats shockin that the airbag goes off for hittin a kerb tho, id try and get a new one for free from the dealer and say that ur not happy with it going off like that it must have been faulty.

T. Spark

I know, I thought it was abit weird with it going off, as there is no other damage minus a new tyre and maybe alloy (just for looks)

Maybe a Seat UK jobbie? Any advice welcome!

Oh, and im stuck in the house with no car... gggrrrr someone come pick me up so I go out!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
ST03VEN said:
thats shockin that the airbag goes off for hittin a kerb tho, id try and get a new one for free from the dealer and say that ur not happy with it going off like that it must have been faulty.
seen a few cars do it - depends how fast you decellerate when you hit it

just think even reasonably slow hitting a dead stop is a hell of a jolt mind

and an alloy wheel albeit alloy with pressurised tyre can take some beating too - try one with a sledgehammer :) see how long it takes ya to fork it up

Last edited:

T. Spark

Johnsey said:
I think this happened to cpufreak ages ago. Good luck sorting it out

Cheers m8,

Fl@pper : So dont think id be able to get the airbag atleast sorted under dodgy warrenty issue?!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Sir SparkSter said:
Fl@pper : So dont think id be able to get the airbag atleast sorted under dodgy warrenty issue?!
worth a try - depends how bad the wheel is really :shrug: anyone in their with ya ?

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
do u really have to say u hit a kerb , i dunno wats recorded in the ecu , but u not say it went off on the motorway etc , this happened boxing day a few years ago to me n my dad as we wheere going hunting , scared the shyte from us , tensioners n all went off (corsa) n i had a shotgun on my lap, not a nice experience . anyway , vauxhall fixed it under warranty when he contacted vaux. head office first ,

worth a try

Triple D

ST03VEN said:
That happened to BUNNIN when he twated a curb, but he also knackered the drive shaft, steering rack, control arm, rod ends, ball joint and his alloy was really bad( smashed a chunk out of it). But he should be getting it fixed this weekend.

T. Spark

How much has he ended up forking out for all that work to be done?

Mine doesnt look too bad on first look (tho Autoworld might try and skank me out off more money) I didnt hit a kerp honest :p

Tho, my alloy is covered in mud, as was grass/muddy after the kerp! If they say to me its just the tyre and alloy (+airbag) I might have a word with Seat UK or sumet?

Tho my power steering light came on aswell!? Think a pipe my have bust/come away aswell.

See what they say, then see if JBS can take a lookie!

T. Spark

And how would I get to work? via bus - me thinks not!

And more inportantly, how would I get home!

2am!? I can tell ya now, there aint any trains :p

Got loads of days they owe me ne way so b right

Real sorry to hear this,
i hit a kerb side on in black ice in my Rover 220 coupe years ago,
was doing less than 10mph at the point of impact.

went to get it sorted, needed
steering rack,
track control rod
bearing
torsion beam?(whatever that is?)
lower strut
and subframe
aswell as alloy and tyre!!!
cost just over £800 all in

Mozz

Ouch. Bad luck there Mark :(

Good luck if you try getting the airbag under warranty, but I'd be surprised if they'd replace it? Seems easy for them to say "that's what it's supposed to do" :shrug:

T. Spark

Cheers guys.... and girls :D

I'll see how it goes...

In the words of Baldrick - "I have a cunning plan" maybe :p

JBS Sales

The ECU will probably detect that there has been something go on.
It can go in to "crash mode"
But it is worth a go.
I would be very suss in doing a warranty claim on it if I was back in the relms of warranty.
But hey see what they say.
As I said yesterday I am sure that there is a control unit to go with the air bag.
Sorry
Sarah

Triple D

Sir SparkSter said:
How much has he ended up forking out for all that work to be done?
so far just for the parts its about £600 i think, then he has to have the airbag, seat cover and airbag ecu + labour will probable end up double that.
I deffinately dont think you'll be able to get a free one under warrenty though, its a good job you haven't got curtain airbags like me though couse if they went off it would cost even more for re lining the roof another two airbags and ecu's ££££££££££££££££££££££ and i think seat would be rubing there hands together.

T. Spark

Makes me wish a didnt have airbags.... it didnt do anything!

Sarah : Ya probs right, but I might take it to another dealership and go mad! might work :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.