Airbag Light - seat sensor

barr

Hi All

Thers is an airbag light staying on in my 2000 Leon.My Mechanic ran a diagnosic and discovered its becuase of the drivers seat side airbag sensor.

What are these like to replace , will the whole airbag have to come out ?

I'm looking at the least expensive option at this stage .

Thanks All

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Do you mean the side impact crash sensor?

Pretty easy to change, need to take the seat out and lift up the carpet, its bolted to the floor infront of the seat.

barr

The mehanic I went to said it was in the driver's seat :confused: - prehaps he could be wrong.

TrisLC

Aug 26, 2009
Stoke / Cheshire
I had the same problem, light came on going over a bump months ago. SEAT quoted around £100 for the censor, Which is steep for a part no bigger than a fag packet lol.

All salvage places wouldnt sell me a censor as they tend to sell the complete air bag kit and I was told that a sensor from a crashed car may throw fault codes.

I came across one on ebay, paid £20 from a car that had not been crashed. Took me 30 minutes to fit it, reset the light with vagcom and bobs your uncle all sorted.

I was told that a new part would need programing into the airbag ECU. But I have no first hand experience of this.

This may sound stupid, but have you checked the connector under the seat to make sure its all in place?

jordyboy004

Leon Cupra 1.8t 20v
Apr 4, 2008
Isle Of Wight
i have my airbag light on and also have water in the footwells so im assuming thats what brought it on, dont really fancy taking the seat out, i can live with the light i think lol

barr

I had the same problem, light came on going over a bump months ago. SEAT quoted around £100 for the censor, Which is steep for a part no bigger than a fag packet lol.

All salvage places wouldnt sell me a censor as they tend to sell the complete air bag kit and I was told that a sensor from a crashed car may throw fault codes.

I came across one on ebay, paid £20 from a car that had not been crashed. Took me 30 minutes to fit it, reset the light with vagcom and bobs your uncle all sorted.

I was told that a new part would need programing into the airbag ECU. But I have no first hand experience of this.

This may sound stupid, but have you checked the connector under the seat to make sure its all in place?

I tried to get at the connectors under the seat , they look like they are in place although they seem impossible to get at :confused:

TrisLC

Aug 26, 2009
Stoke / Cheshire
The main reason I sorted mine was the MOT is due in a week or so and I dont want to take the chance of it not passing because of the light lol

My footwell was soaked, did the usual door seals etc and then took out the sound proofing under the carpet to dry it out. I think when they get soaked, it must make them short out, which causes the light.

Going over the bump was the last straw for mine, i think.

As for the connector under the seat. Go to the rear of the seat, there are plastic covers over the runners. Pop off the little cap on either side and unscrew. They will become loose and you can just lift them up.

If you look at the front of the seat, there are 2 x 13mm bolts. Take these off and push the seat back. It will slide out of the runners onto the carpet. You should be able to lift the seat back and see the connectors etc

The above will take you no longer than 15 mins to do first time, after that you could always lift the seat out and have a look under your carpet ;)

David A

TrisLC: I have the same problem in my car. Do you have the partnr of the sensor? Did you have to take the seat out or is it enough to push it back? Did you disconnect the battery?

TrisLC

Aug 26, 2009
Stoke / Cheshire
I dont have a part number, depends on which one has gone. Have you stuck it on vagcom?

You need to take the seat out mate and unclip all the plastic trim that is holding the carpet down. The sensor is under the sound proofing and that will need lifting up aswell.

I had to dry the sound proofing out as mine was wet, so i took it out. This gave loads more room.

This was a really easy job to do, the best advise I can give is to ring as many scrap yard as poss and see if they will sell you a censor ;)

David A

Thanks TrisLC. Looks I have to do this in a sunny day! I'll check the number with vagcom.

smokey267

Oct 9, 2009
Hi Tris LC

I realise this post was a while ago but i am having the same issue with a leon

I have identified that i have a fault with G179 crash sensor which vag com identified as 1C0 909 605 A

I have purchased a second hand unit and will be having a go at swapping it over

I

smokey267

Oct 9, 2009
sorry pressed wrong key

Is it under the black plate under the seat and could you tell me what is involved in changing it over

Many thanks

smokey267

Oct 9, 2009
Hi techie

I realise this post was a while ago but i have the same problem with a Leon

vag com has given me G179 crash sensor faulty.Can you explain what is involved with changing the sensor over.Vag Com gave me sensor 1CO 909 605 A which i have sourced from a breaker.I believe it is under the carpet beneath a black metal plate.Could you give me a step by guide on how to carry out this procedure.I realise you have to dis connect battery before you start and know how to take seat out but from here i am a bit lost

Many Thanks

----------------------------
Clive

TheMadHatter76

Apr 5, 2011
Leicester, UK
i have my airbag light on and also have water in the footwells so im assuming thats what brought it on, dont really fancy taking the seat out, i can live with the light i think lol

You might not mind the ECU light being on, but you might mind it when the airbag doesn't inflate should you be involved in an accident :) From my understanding, if the airbag warning light is lit then the airbags won't inflate. It's a safety mechanism to ensure they don't go off if the sensors malfunction.

I've just had the same problem (water in the footwell and a broken airbag sensor). I've just purchased a second-hand one from fleabay for £9.25 (delivered). I don't think I'll fit it myself but if you've got a good mechanic you'll only be charged for half an hour's labour.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.